Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 823 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    the 40 in 255/40.18 means it is 40% of the 255MM sidewall.

so the 40 in 245.45/17 means 40% of the 245mm sidewall

The 225mm is the section width of the inner sidewall to the outer sidewall and the 40 is sidewall height aspect ratio. The sidewall is calculated to be 40% of the section width.

Section Width

Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"

Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I would swap the brighter bulb to the other side to confirm it is indeed the bulb. If it isn't, you gotta work a little more and swap ballasts.
    Thanks. He won't be home from college with the car until mid-May. Hopefully the bulb hangs on until then.

1) E46s headlights were built to perfectly accommodate AEs. Why didn't BMW put them in when the older E39 had them? Plus, the ZHP package didn't even include it. It would at least make some sense if BMW sold them separately as a BMW Performance part but they didn't do that either.

2) Why no one-touch open/close rear windows for the coupe? The front windows do.

3) How do you reset the Bluetooth or connect to it? I know that there's a serial number with the PIN on the unit in the trunk but that's not what I'm looking for.
    The previous owner used it and I somehow was able to find out the PIN (not from them) and connected to it with my old phone. But I have a new phone now and forgot the PIN, and am trying to remember/find out if there are other ways of resetting/obtaining the PIN without taking anything apart.

4) Are all ZHPs Sirius-XM enabled? Sometimes when I turn on the radio, it reads "Sirius" for a brief second, then goes to regular FM radio.

Quote Originally Posted by JKO_ZHP View Post
    3) How do you reset the Bluetooth or connect to it? I know that there's a serial number with the PIN on the unit in the trunk but that's not what I'm looking for.
    The previous owner used it and I somehow was able to find out the PIN (not from them) and connected to it with my old phone. But I have a new phone now and forgot the PIN, and am trying to remember/find out if there are other ways of resetting/obtaining the PIN without taking anything apart.
    Try 0000 or 1234

Quote Originally Posted by JKO_ZHP View Post
    1) E46s headlights were built to perfectly accommodate AEs. Why didn't BMW put them in when the older E39 had them? Plus, the ZHP package didn't even include it. It would at least make some sense if BMW sold them separately as a BMW Performance part but they didn't do that either.

2) Why no one-touch open/close rear windows for the coupe? The front windows do.

4) Are all ZHPs Sirius-XM enabled? Sometimes when I turn on the radio, it reads "Sirius" for a brief second, then goes to regular FM radio.
    1. no they are not. have you every seen the inside of a headlight with OEM angels? all you see is the front which are just the fiber optic tubes. in the back, there's a ton more stuff to make it work. there's not enough room in the headlights for it hence why we have the LEDs now that aren't uniform. even the old school ones that tried to mimic it had no where to but the light boxes, so you would have to mount it outside of the headlights.

2. they do have it for euros. we americans are too dumb for it and are too sue happy. they took it out. but you can buy switches and enable it by coding. or modify your switches to do so.

3. no clue. probably involves taking shit apart lol or unless you have your old phone, maybe somehow view the pin on that.

4. i don't think so. i think you need a specific module to enable the functionality.

If you're seeing "SIRIUS", then I'd think you must have the tuner for it. Get the Bluetooth code off the module, not sure where it's buried in the back of our cars. Bluetooth actually works pretty well in my car, other than having to use the tiny display on the stock head unit, which is pretty useless for scrolling through a phone book. But for incoming calls, it works well. Can't say the same for my Z4MC, it's almost useless.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Hieu & Kevin, the 4-digit PIN number is on the unit in the trunk, but I don't want to take off the headliner and unscrew stuff. Too lazy hehe
    ELCID it's neither, all ZHPs that do have Bluetooth enabled have unique PINs. Or else people would be (able to) connect left and right whenever you put it to "search."

I miss the Bluetooth function....for an '05 car, it was pretty damn useful and futuristic. I remember saying "dial" out loud, and the car would ask for the number. Or "phonebook," then "call ___" and my phone would be dialing that person.

how do you setup the bluetooth pairing? i have an '05 coupe...

peter
    Last edited by slater; 02-21-2014 at 05:41 AM.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

oh yeah i know where the pin is located. i was just saying i don't know how else you can get the pin without going to the trunk and taking off the liner lol

i don't use bt at all. my phone just uses the aux input like it's a headset. so to me it's the same thing. except if i want to talk to it, i have to press on the phone first

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    Yup that's correct. Any idea on contact patch size? I don't know how it's calculated.
    In a textbook example it would be easy, the owners manual lists:

Weight: 3285lbs
    distribution front / rear: 50.1% / 49.9%

At the recommended inflation of 35psi front, 42psi rear you get:

FRONT: 3285 * .501 / 2 = 822.89 lbs per wheel
    822.89lbs divided by 35lbs per square inch == 23.51 in^2 contact patch

REAR: 3285 * .499 / 2 = 819.61 lbs per wheel
    819.61lbs divided by 42lbs per square inch == 19.51 in^2 contact patch

If car tires were made like inner tubes it really would be that easy to calculate. We want our car tires to be flat on the bottom though so they have steel or Kevlar belts in them to help hold that shape and you end up with a significant amount of weight being physically supported by the sidewalls. If you really wanted to know the contact size and shape you'd have to lift the car by the wheels, paint the bottom of the tires, lower it onto cardboard, raise the car back up and then analyze the patch.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 13 of 823 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast