Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 612 of 823 FirstFirst ... 112512562602610611612613614622662712 ... LastLast
Results 6,111 to 6,120 of 8230
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    If you are going to have the oil pan off, I'd recommend the baffle, if you are going to track your car. Just buy a baffle and take it and the oil pan to a machine shop or performance shop that does aluminum welding and they'll do the rest. that's what I did.
    As far as the oil pump goes, I replaced the whole thing with an Achilles oil pump. Not that difficult. it's just a couple of bolts that hold on the pump. I can give you some tips on replacing the oil pump if needed.
    I beat on my car since it had 44K on it and the oil pump nut was tight as hell but I had already bought the oil pump.

Oil level sensor is on the bottom of the oil pan. You have to take off the aluminum support brace to get it but it can be done with an oil change.
    Thanks, Rob. I’m honestly considering a second car for dedicated track duty, which is why I don’t want to go too crazy on this one. The Achilles baffle looks good, and in reading more I understand the benefits, but I think I want to save future track-prep mods for the second car. I’d like to work my way up to club racing, and SpecMiata or SpecE46 are really calling my name. But I might change my mind on the baffle in the next few weeks.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Originally Posted by san, responding to "Is simple green a good solvent to clean the engine bay? Anything better?"

I use Purple Power.... used to be called Castrol Super Clean. Works great and is environmentally safe. Put in on undiluted and hose off. The only thing is if you have anything anodized under the hood, you don't want to leave it on there for a long time. After you're done, dress the engine bay with Silkonlene Pro Prep and your engine bay will look brand new.

My neighbor had Castrol Super Clean lift the paint from the air cleaner housing of his GMC truck. Don't know if this is a GMC paint quality issue or due to the Super Clean, but I don't need that kind of cleaning power!

Simple Green, Purple Power, oven cleaners... are great for removing grease, but will attack raw aluminum, especially if left on too long. Dawn dish wash soap is great for cleaning grease. Dawn and a bristle brush can go a long way.
    Last edited by John in VA; 08-24-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

If the paint came off, it was ready to come off anyway.
    I've never had an issue with super clean/purple power. I've been using it since the early 90's on everything. cars, motorcycles, golf carts, lawn mowers, grills, etc. Even used it to clean the cloth seats in my "85 bronco back in the day... which came out like new.
    Anything that's raw aluminum or anodized should only be washed with soapy water but you can still use super clean on it if you wet it first or hose it off within a minute or so. The aluminum block, VANOS assy, etc is un affected by super clean/Purple power

We use Simple Green full strength at work to clean ultrasound diagnostic machines...they are mostly plastic, painted parts and aluminum. Never had an issue with that either.

I would never let a can of oven cleaner get near anything but an oven.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Anything that's raw aluminum or anodized should only be washed with soapy wooder...
    Fixt.

Name:  1504214857684.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  73.5 KB
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Hey, I'm not in Jersey anymore...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

If you are going to have the oil pan off, I'd recommend the baffle, if you are going to track your car. Just buy a baffle and take it and the oil pan to a machine shop or performance shop that does aluminum welding and they'll do the rest. that's what I did.
    As far as the oil pump goes, I replaced the whole thing with an Achilles oil pump. Not that difficult. it's just a couple of bolts that hold on the pump. I can give you some tips on replacing the oil pump if needed.
    I beat on my car since it had 44K on it and the oil pump nut was tight as hell but I had already bought the oil pump.

Oil level sensor is on the bottom of the oil pan. You have to take off the aluminum support brace to get it but it can be done with an oil change.
    Oil pan gasket is on my future jobs list.

1.) is it worth replacing the oil pump? They seem pretty solid, nut aside.
    2.) aren’t there pan baffles that bolt in?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

If you're not tracking your car a lot or living in the upper RPM range, I wouldn't worry about it. I beat on my car a lot since I bought it with 44k on it and the nut was tight as hell... I knew I was going FI so that is the major reason for upgrading those parts.

I haven't seen any that bolt in... The only two I really looked at were VAC and Achilles spec e46 catalogs...
    H&R sport springs,

Yes I track the car.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    Yes I track the car.
    In that case, I'd do both while you're in there.
    If you decide to replace the oil pump, make sure you prime it. I know there is at least 1 other member that installed the pump dry and didn't have an issue but why take the chance. Fill that baby with oil and spin it a few times to get it good and primed then bolt it on.
    There are some that are retrofitting a tensioner for the oil pump chain but that will more work...
    H&R sport springs,

After lots of research, it seems to help with track duty, you should get an S54 chain tensioner, INA overdrive pulley, and a GSR pump.

An oil pump chain tensioner from S54 is also a good idea but risks head gasket damage

Page 612 of 823 FirstFirst ... 112512562602610611612613614622662712 ... LastLast