Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 625 of 823 FirstFirst ... 125525575615623624625626627635675725 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,250 of 8230
    Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Brake dust is worth the stopping power.
    That sounds dangerously rational, sir.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

I am in the minority that prefer the akebono euro ceramic pads.

I hated the oe pads. Swapped them out on all 5 bmws.

+1 no dust
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Brake dust is worth the stopping power.
    I prefer stopping power without the brake dust.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I prefer stopping power without the brake dust.
    We can't possibly have everything.... Can we?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Stock brake pads are extremely inadequate for track use. You need a proper set of "streetable" track pads OR full blown track pads to withstand track usage.

The heat buildup starts in the pads, which then transfers to the rotors. Stock rotors are fine for track use, so your bottleneck appears to be the pads. Also make sure you have brake fluid that can withstand the higher temps the brake pads and rotors are putting out. I would recommend ATF Typ 200 (the gold stuff) if you're just starting out. This fluid is perfectly fine for street use too, but make sure to bleed this stuff more regularly than regular brake fluid. I think regular fluid can go 2 years. I would change this fluid out at least yearly. Personally I change it out before every event...

I would say a decent pad to upgrade to is something like EBC Yellowstuff or Hawk HP+, IF you are still a beginner. If you are a more advanced student carrying a lot more speed, you'll need something more durable. I use PFC11's on my car, which is a full blown track pad, and swap them out just for the track.
    Yup, while the dry boiling point is close to the ATE Typ 200, this Pentosin LV shit just wasn't ready for that kind of heat cycling. I'm going to flush out the boiled fluid and wait until spring to put in some quality race ready fluid. No sense in running it through the winter and letting it absorb water.

For pads, I'm thinking about the PFC Z-rated street pads, or doing like you and Spenser do -- swapping in a streetable track pad before events. I'll be flushing the fluid beforehand anyway, so...?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LiterStraightSix View Post
    We can't possibly have everything.... Can we?

The mega dust from the OE pads goes hand in hand with the sharp initial bite. You lose that with a lower dust pad, but (BP about to jump in here on his favorite subject) you get more range of modulation from a performance pad. The lack of initial bite compared to OE makes you think you gave up stopping power, but then you really lean into the brake pedal and throw up on the windshield.

I follow so what brand/model would you recommend for me? Just a daily driver that likes street performance. BUT, my biggest want is little dust as possible. I'm SO tired of cleaning my style 68s every damn week
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Yup, while the dry boiling point is close to the ATE Typ 200, this Pentosin LV shit just wasn't ready for that kind of heat cycling. I'm going to flush out the boiled fluid and wait until spring to put in some quality race ready fluid. No sense in running it through the winter and letting it absorb water.

For pads, I'm thinking about the PFC Z-rated street pads, or doing like you and Spenser do -- swapping in a streetable track pad before events. I'll be flushing the fluid beforehand anyway, so...?

The mega dust from the OE pads goes hand in hand with the sharp initial bite. You lose that with a lower dust pad, but (BP about to jump in here on his favorite subject) you get more range of modulation from a performance pad. The lack of initial bite compared to OE makes you think you gave up stopping power, but then you really lean into the brake pedal and throw up on the windshield.

I had akebono ceramic pads on my e90 and was very happy with the results, brake dust was close to zero. For my driving style (non aggressive) they were a perfect fit.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Yes you do lose some bite with ceramic, but I've found I have pretty much the same actual stopping power, but with significantly less dust.

I can't quote right now (Tapatalk acting up) but to the post above fredo's:

I have had great experience with EBC Redstuff. Pretty decent bite, almost no dust, and great stopping power.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Yeah I've gotten used to the akebonos. Do i miss the initial bite of OE? Every day of my life...
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Quote Originally Posted by 3LiterStraightSix View Post
    I follow so what brand/model would you recommend for me? Just a daily driver that likes street performance. BUT, my biggest want is little dust as possible. I'm SO tired of cleaning my style 68s every damn week

I'd go with the PFC Z-rated pads. That's what I run. I didn't like the Akebonos when I had it. Yes, you do lose that initial bite over OE, but not that much. Then it's pretty linear from there on out. It's low dust as well. I think it does dust more than the Akebonos, but I thought the braking feel was much better.

Page 625 of 823 FirstFirst ... 125525575615623624625626627635675725 ... LastLast