Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

I've been thinking about selling my ZHP....

I'm in a dilemma folks. I've been seriously considering selling/trading in my ZHP. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my car. I've poured countless hours into it (my friends as well), not to mention lots of $$$. I am enjoy the car a lot, and it's been a lot of fun. It's been a car that turns heads and breaks hearts at the occasional autox/track day, yet it still is a reliable and fun DD.

I am growing tired of the meticulous maintenance that owning a BMW requires, specifically a 12 year old BMW. I have no doubt that this car will take me across the country and back without any issues....which I've done recently; but I don't want to wrench anymore.

With my upcoming major career change, I don't want to have to worry about having to maintain/repair my vehicle. I also would enjoy having something fresh and new. It may just been time for something new. I don't entirely know for sure yet...

I have been looking at the FR-S a lot....

What's the price tag as it sits? Also, didn't you say you had a teg? Does that need wrenching too?
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    2003 ZHP Sedan, 6sp, Jet Black/Sand with Black Cube
    *Amber Army*

I've been thinking about selling my ZHP....

Wait for the Alfa 4C

Quote Originally Posted by PirateZHP View Post
    What's the price tag as it sits? Also, didn't you say you had a teg? Does that need wrenching too?
    I have no clue what I'd list it for. The GSR is gone.... My sis was driving it and someone T-Boned her and totaled it.

FRS is a popular car around here. I've never personally driven one, but honestly, they look pretty mean in person, especially the rear. If you flat out don't want to work on cars anymore, probably best to sell the ZHP.

Quote Originally Posted by QC_ZHP View Post
    FRS is a popular car around here. I've never personally driven one, but honestly, they look pretty mean in person, especially the rear. If you flat out don't want to work on cars anymore, probably best to sell the ZHP.
    I've driven them quite a bit. They're a blast with some grippy tires and brakes that don't fade. I'll miss the four doors. With the move to California, I do not want to spend my weekends wrenching. I want to be out enjoying the new area, meeting new people, etc etc.

Here's a lengthy response, but bear with me:

Changing cars is almost never an economical decision. Buying a new car will never (outside of extremes) be cheaper than maintaining the one you already have.

You know the E46. Sure, you gotta put a wrench to it every now and again. But, for the most part, parts are cheap, work is easy, and info is plentiful. I know we stress maintenance a lot, but I would argue that maintaining an E46 is not hard. When stuff breaks, diagnoses is usually straightforward and quick. Competition between a vast array of vendors gives you options and low prices on whatever you need for the car.

You have worked on your car plenty, and I'm sure you are familiar with all the work that it requires and any maintenance you must do. That's HUGE right there. Buy a new car, and you are instantly ignorant of any technicalities the car has; all you have is a general mechanical idea of how the drivetrain works. If you have a new car, then you have a warranty to cover that. The mechanic in you will probably lead you to doing maintenance that you feel is required, but the dealer will not do, such as additional oil/filter changes, fuel pump changes, new plugs, fluid flushes, etc. You will wrench your new car, I guarantee it. If not maintenance, then mods. However, you will be paying higher insurance, parts will cost more, and will be making a monthly payment.

Taking all that into consideration, you are considering selling a car you KNOW you love, and chaining yourself to a financial commitment hoping that you love a car based on a few test drives and internet reviews. That's a gamble. If you end up hating the car and sell it, you will lose a good chunk of money, too. Of course, nobody can decide that except you, but it's something to consider.

If you are looking at the FR-S, you aren't upgrading much in terms of performance besides an LSD. You are downgrading (in your case) by about 50 crank hp. Not to mention it's a two-seater unless you are packing kids in the back. IMO, the ZHP looks much better, but that's for you to ask.

There's a lot more I could say in favor of keeping the ZHP, however,

If you want a new car, then buy a new car. At the end of the day, do what you want and what makes you happy.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
    I've driven them quite a bit. They're a blast with some grippy tires and brakes that don't fade. I'll miss the four doors. With the move to California, I do not want to spend my weekends wrenching. I want to be out enjoying the new area, meeting new people, etc etc.
    Can't blame you for that. Whats the career change if you don't mind me asking? I'm jealous of the cross country move.

If you do sell, I'll definitely jump on some of the parts you have.

^good advise. If you are set on a "new" car I'd certainly consider pre-owned 2-3 years old that had already taken the heavy hit on depreciation. If I had to get a car today, I really don't know what it would be. I've been a fan of Honda/Acura for years and still own 3. Ford (4-letter word?) seems to be fielding a better product. The new Lexus seems ok, Nissan maybe. Do you like the feel of front wheel drive--it is different.

I really just don't know what I'd do (or how to advise you). I'm sure you will give it much consideration and research. Carmax is always a good place to see multiple brands in one spot if you have one near you.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by QC_ZHP View Post
    Can't blame you for that. Whats the career change if you don't mind me asking? I'm jealous of the cross country move.

If you do sell, I'll definitely jump on some of the parts you have.
    Me too man I would love to get out to Cali sometime soon and looking at colleges there. You also have a wide variety of parts and would love to jump on them too if they are ever available. Good luck with selling it!

2004 black on black 330ci ~Mason

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast