Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

quirky car habits

what do you constantly do that you think might be a little quirky or that most people might not do for their cars?

- i turn my ac off before turning the car off, every single time. my dad taught me to do this as a teenager, he claimed it's less stress on the engine at startup cause it's one less belt to spin. made since to me then and i've done it ever since.
    - in fact, i run the AC as little as possible. even in tx summer heat. yes i'm that anal about it. don't like the extra energy consumption.
    - i never open the door handle with the same hand the key is in. too risky for scratches.
    - i permanently turn off all automated cabin lights (ie, dome lights). i hate light in the cabin, esp at night, unless i want it.

i'm sure there are more i'm forgetting off the top of my head, i'll update as they come to me. let's hear 'em.

I always turn off either the heat or ac about a mile before I turn the car off.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Just remember on the highway, it's actually more fuel efficient to run the AC with the windows up, vs no AC with the windows down.

- I always drive with my lights on.
    - With a standard transmission, I always park in gear with the parking brake engaged.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    Just remember on the highway, it's actually more fuel efficient to run the AC with the windows up, vs no AC with the windows down.
    Didn't mythbusters do an episode on this one?

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    Didn't mythbusters do an episode on this one?
    Yes....

-I do not ever operate my sunroof. I only operate my windows under extreme circumstances.

-I check tire pressure on just about an "every other day" basis.

-I wash my windows almost every day.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I used to long for AC in my old car. In the ZHP, I go Windows down around town and highway windows up. Rarely any compromise on this.

Park in first gear.

I get in and out of the car kind of diagonally making as little contact with the bolsters as possible to reduce wear. I NEVER grab the bolster as an assist. I hate that...

Always back into ir pull through to a parking spot; MUST be facing the direction I'm leaving.

I shift like I'm driving an automatic; shift up as soon as possible. I also aim for to (usually with much success) shift smoother than an auto, no matter the cost.

If travelling on the highway, my mpg gauge has to be pegged at either 30 or 20. I'd rather have it pegged at 20 than 25, mainly because 20 is a nice, even number and has a 'line' associated with it. In my old car, the magic number used to be 25, because THAT had a line for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    - I always drive with my lights on.
    I do the same.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Additionally...I never fully "click down or up" on my blinker stalk...when changing lanes. three "blinks" and I release.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
    I do the same.
    I actually drive in the dark as long as I can get away with just the AE's and fogs on to reduce the amount of time my ZKW bowls are burning up. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast