Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question in juxtaposition to the 'no heat' thread below...

in contrast to the other thread: when idling, the car warms up fine and the temp gauge gets to 12 o'clock and all is well; heat flows from the vents.

when underway, the temp gauge drops to 10 o'clockish and i don't get any heat (or really anything at all) from the vents; returning to idle and waiting sees the temp gauge rise back to 12 o'clock and heat resumes from the vents.

doesn't seem like a t-stat or water pump issue, because the car does indeed produce heat and get up to temp when idling.

coolant temp sensor?

thanks all!

peter

I assume that you have checked to be sure that your coolant is up to the proper level? Just thinking about a possible air block on the system causing you trouble.

EDIT: Any idea if/when the thermostat/water pump/expansion tank have been replaced?

EDIT 2: Coolant temp. sensor sounds suspect to me given the symptoms noted, as the thermostat is obviously opening up once the car is up to temperature, causing the temp. gauge to drop back to the 10 o'clock position.

-Brettski

How many miles on the car? Temp sensor seems like a fix that would work and the oring goes out around 60k-80k miles so would be beneficial to change anyways if the sensor is suspect.

Thermostat stuck open.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Thermostat stuck open.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    He could easily check by driving from the start and seeing how long it takes/if it ever gets to operating temps. Also it would be useful for the OP to use the trick to see temp displayed on the dash when doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    He could easily check by driving from the start and seeing how long it takes/if it ever gets to operating temps. Also it would be useful for the OP to use the trick to see temp displayed on the dash when doing this.
    if i drive right off, the needle never gets up to temp. i found the hidden code reference on the site, but the directions don't seem to work for me (hold down the trip reset button while turning the car on - i don't get the menu prompt).

peter

How many miles on the car? Temp sensor seems like a fix that would work and the oring goes out around 60k-80k miles so would be beneficial to change anyways if the sensor is suspect.
    228K miles.

the PO was not a technical guy - he brought it into the dealer or his BMW-specific indie for everything. i looked through the records i have and noted one coolant hose replacement about 2 years ago - however, there are some missing records and the PO is sending them to me.

peter

Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post
    I assume that you have checked to be sure that your coolant is up to the proper level? Just thinking about a possible air block on the system causing you trouble.

EDIT: Any idea if/when the thermostat/water pump/expansion tank have been replaced?

EDIT 2: Coolant temp. sensor sounds suspect to me given the symptoms noted, as the thermostat is obviously opening up once the car is up to temperature, causing the temp. gauge to drop back to the 10 o'clock position.
    i think it may very well be a good idea at this point to go ahead and replace the water pump, t-stat, coolant expansion tank, coolant temp sensor(s) and heater valve all at once.

peter

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    if i drive right off, the needle never gets up to temp. i found the hidden code reference on the site, but the directions don't seem to work for me (hold down the trip reset button while turning the car on - i don't get the menu prompt).

peter
    I think you've answered it. If the car doesn't get up to temp when driving right after startup it is because the Tstat is stuck open as Keith mentioned. But a preventative cooling system refresh isn't a bad idea if the funds are there.

I think you've answered it. If the car doesn't get up to temp when driving right after startup it is because the Tstat is stuck open as Keith mentioned. But a preventative cooling system refresh isn't a bad idea if the funds are there.
    thanks, sean. funds are never plentiful, but i'm very much a 'while i am in there' kinda guy. will likely do the water pump, belts, temp sensors while i'm doing the t-stat.

peter
    Last edited by slater; 02-11-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast