Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    thanks, would love a link if you can find one!
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

nvm found it:

Changing speed sensitive volume control

On cars without NAV

First, don't be driving while doing this procedure.

Turn the radio off then on again. Don't touch any button except the 'm' button - the button you use to tune the radio frequency manually. Press and hold the 'm' button for TEN seconds or until the display changes. IIRC, it shows the serial number of the unit. Normally when you press 'm', the display will reflect that by replacing 'ST' (stereo tuning) with 'm'. When holding the 'm' button for this procedure, the display should not do this - you will continue to see 'ST' for the ten seconds.

Now if the display has changed, you are in a configure mode on the radio. If you press the '+' or '-' button you change modes. The mode you want will display as "GAL (1-6)". This mode allows you to adjust the speed-sensitive volume control. Use the radio preset buttons 1-6 to set the amount of volume change you want at speed. Setting 1 is the smallest change, 6 is the highest.

I use 1 with the windows closed, and 4 when it's a nice day and I drive with the windows open which makes for a lot of ambient noise at speed. The car is so quiet with the windows closed that setting 1 is plenty. On my car the default setting from the factory was 3 and it bugged me too.

Then turn the radio OFF to save the settings. Turn it back on and go for a drive to test it. The other semi-useful test mode will tell you the signal strength of any given station from 0 to 15 (highest). Use the preset buttons to change stations in the mode. This capability is probably used in the automatic tuning functions in the radio.

On cars with NAV

Get in the car, close the door, and turn the ignition to position 1 (accessory. As soon as the monitor comes on, press and hold the RDS button for aprox 12 sec. Using the arrow keys, near the Tone and Select buttons, scroll to heading "GAL" (German acronym for speed depandant volume) The default setting will be displayed. To change, use the number keys 1-6, 1 being less increase, 6 being maximum. Edit: The radio needs to be on when making this change.
    --Wes--

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    My buddy needed a new windshield for his 550. Jumped through hoops to get his insurance to cover OEM glass then found the installer that does all the work for the local BMW dealer. After all of that the guy shows up to do the install and we start talking about the sensor and aftermarket glass. He was adamant that the glass is never the problem, it is always from a poorly installed sensor or they tried to reuse the old sensor. He said there is no way to remove the sensor from the glass without destroying the adhesive and it's still tricky to get a new one on the glass perfectly with absolutely no air bubbles.

Totally right. There are two sections to the rain sensor. The actual lense itself is attached to the windshield with some sort of clear glue/silicon. I noticed many aftermarket glasses do not have the said purple lense and many vendors will try and reuse the old lense. Most often than not, they do a terrible job and results in a poor visibility for the lense. It's not really the installers fault, its just what they are given and what to make due with.

They solved it for the newer bmw cars where you can get this:

You need the substitute hockey puck thing below

My rain sensing wipers don't wipe enough and I always find myself pressing it down to wipe it clean. What's funny is my old Mini had the same feature.... Except it actually worked. My Mini also had a much better H/K stereo. Cheaper car with better working features. Go figure.
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-MINI-Cooper-S
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    i hate the auto wiper feature. i end up always using the control stalk manually to active the wipers, which is also a PITA. but anything above a faint drizzle and my auto wipers FREAK OUT and start wiping super fast. which if the rain is steady but not heavy, causes streaking and rubbing sounds, and accelerates wear on the wiper blades.
    Adjust the sensitivity on the stalk.

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    yep, even at the lowest setting. easily the worst feature of the car IMO. probably the 2nd biggest annoyance next to the rear deck rattle.
    Funny thing is, I refuse to drive a car now that doesn't have it. Having to constantly manually adjust it is the thing I find the most irritating on cars that don't have auto wipers. Works perfectly 99% of the time for me.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post

Funny thing is, I refuse to drive a car now that doesn't have it. Having to constantly manually adjust it is the thing I find the most irritating on cars that don't have auto wipers. Works perfectly 99% of the time for me.
    I love the auto wipers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I had the same issue with my recent install of Pilkington glass (also with my auto headlights being on during daylight). I ended up pulling the fuse and reverting to intermittent wipers. I have purchased another used sensor and when I get the glass reinstalled (hopefully Fri dependent on Snowmageddon #2) I'll try both sensors. The glass tech did say he thinks they often get dust in them and don't work right.

Will let you know if I can isolate it.
    Install delayed due to weather. Hoping for Mon or Tue.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post

you mean the little notches on the INT setting, or is there another way to adjust it? like i said, i have it on the "slowest" setting and it still is too fast.
    --Wes--

New pilkington glass installed today. I swapped out the RLS for one I got from a guy on e46f. The "new" one works even though it doesn't look as good as the old one. We put both in to ensure the old was faulty.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

I thought I'd update this thread with my experiences from the last 6 months or so.

Late last November I found a small rock chip on my windshield, in a location where invisible glass repair wouldn't take. Because I was unaware of discussions like this one, I let my insurance company's glass installer (Safelite), come to my home and install a third-party windshield and molding*.

As to the windshield, I won't bore you with everything I've been through since November, except to note how amazingly supportive the manager of the local Safelite operation has been. All of the subsequent work has been done at their shop. We are now waiting for a BMW OEM windshield to be installed at their expense sometime in the coming week- they’ve already replaced the sensor and molding,

Here’s what I learned from my indie shop’s owner in the process. He says, as mentioned above, that any tiny flaw in the gel pack sensor mount will cause problems. Here’s why: the sensor is looking for rain. If it sees fake rain (any tiny flaw in the mount) appearing across multiple startups it views it as an event that can’t possibly be caused by rain and triggers a sensor error. Resetting the sensor will fail, because the sensor still sees the flaw.

It’s effectively impossible to install a sensor by itself because of flaws that will be introduced. The only way to install an error-free sensor is to install a windshield with a gel pack preinstalled on the glass: an OEM windshield. (Also, FWIW, the system has to be reset after any new sensor goes in, and at level higher than my PASoft can address. PASoft is giving me messages to the effect of “Sensor still not reset”.)

Not wanting to spring for a BMW windshield (yet) Safelite installed a new sensor, which improved things, but not completely: the wipers don’t respond to steady rain. Upon examining the sensor mount I can see a tiny flaw in the mounting gel.

So we’re now waiting for an OEM windshield with the sensor mount in place to be installed this week. I’ll report on how this goes. I hope this has been coherent- it's hard to pull all this information together.

*Both of these items are critical, as it turns out: BMW molding is required because it's shaped to channel rain up and onto the roof above the windows: an incorrect molding lets rain get blown into the car.
    Last edited by Dual; 05-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast