Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why do silver cars lose their luster?

I have bought many silver cars and have always been curious as to why they lose their shine faster than lets say a red car.

what is it that causes them to seem to dull faster then their more pigmented brethren?

Interesting...my silver ZHP had the nicest paint of any car I have owned. Although I took great care of the paint, I was always impressed with the shine.
    E92 335i M-Sport
    997 S

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by diverse View Post
    I have bought many silver cars and have always been curious as to why they lose their shine faster than lets say a red car.

what is it that causes them to seem to dull faster then their more pigmented brethren?
    Not sure why you're having issues with your paint....my TiAg ///M hasn't lost any of it's luster and still get's looks whenever I take it out for a drive...perhaps you're not using the right stuff when cleaning/waxing your car? Not sure what the problem is...

I mean here's how my car looks like and I haven't "waxed" my ///M in over two months now...looks like it still has it's lusture

when I say I bought silver cars when I bought them they were already dull

I was a used car dealer and purchased many a silver car that needed restoration
    most of the time they wouldn't come back as nice as the reds, black, and blue cars.

From what I was told the black and blue pigments that are in the silvers get faded by the sun.
    which is why depending on the age of the car when doing color matching I was instructed to reduce the amount of blue and black the formulae called for when mixing silvers.

if you keep your car waxed and protected perhaps you avoid this effect.

when I say I bought silver cars when I bought them they were already dull

I was a used car dealer and purchased many a silver car that needed restoration
    most of the time they wouldn't come back as nice as the reds, black, and blue cars.

From what I was told the black and blue pigments that are in the silvers get faded by the sun.
    which is why depending on the age of the car when doing color matching I was instructed to reduce the amount of blue and black the formulae called for when mixing silvers.

if you keep your car waxed and protected perhaps you avoid this effect.
    I think it comes down to how well taken care of the car was in a detailing sense. If the previous owner was detail oriented then the silver paint would still retain it's lusture. I see this between various owners up here in New England where I live. I'm gussing in sunnier regions the fade on the paint is more dramatic.

My "secret" is to not wet-sand or "polish" my cars with Ajax.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

that was posted as a white car trick only.
    still funny though

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    My "secret" is to not wet-sand or "polish" my cars with Ajax.
    +1 ;-)

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

that was posted as a white car trick only.
    still funny though
    I thought those threads were a bad joke. I mean, let's think about this - if it "works" on a white car, but apparently looks horrendous on a dark car, as if, you know, you SANDED your clear coat off, or "polished" it with an abrasive cleaner (which no doubt has all kinds of other harsh shiite in it that can't be good for ANY color paint), then how can it be a good idea at all?

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast