Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

does any body have a 1/4 mile or 0-60 real world breakdown for performance mods?

Hello all.
    I have watched many reviews and many articles
    rarely do I see the increased horse power torque numbers posted along side 0-60 or 1.4 mile times

I am planning some cheap modifications without getting crazy like
    AFE cold air
    maybe an after market cat back system
    some sort of tune like conforti shark injector or other well repudiated tune.
    and finally pulley kit
    I may even opt for a cam around the same time I need to adjust my vanos or change a head gasket

I will do these things simply because I know that together combined with the factory modifications already made I should see some gains in both torque and horsepower

What I do not know is what effect this will have in quantifiable numbers
    what 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times I may see.

I definitely plan on doing a video when I complete my mods
    not just a dyno which means little to me. since I do not drive on a ramp
    for example how is a cold air intake supposed to do its job if it is not being bombarded with real air blowing whild running 80mph?

anyway

If anyone has any data at all from any mod that they did
    and what effect this had on their 0-60 or 1/4 mile time
    I would be very interested.

The zhp is a great car and I want to know how to best improve it affordably

Any help would be appreciated

That's because posted dyno results are rare, and the improvements aren't really enough to dyno for anyway, unless you go FI or headers with all the extras you mentioned. What you talking about is maybe 25 - 35 HP (just a thumb in the air estimate that could be high), so not much. There's just not a lot of naturally aspirated HP you can add to these.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

right if I can 20hp I will be happy especially if there is some torque thrown in

but not being knowledgeable about how this translates into real world driving

I am left clueless as to what my money will be buying?

does 10 hp gain with a 7 torque gain mean
    I will shave a 1/4 second on my 0-60 or a 1/4 second on my quarter mile time?

having people provide such info would really help a new comer make better decisions on where to spend his or her money

I think it takes a lot more than ten horse power to get a 1/4 second off.

Those are the exact same mods I plan to do. So I'm very curious to see if anybody has any insight on this.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

All I know is that my car certainly feels faster after similar mods so to me, it's worth it. But, it's not significant. For me, for the deals I got/prices I paid, it was worth it. For full price, it would be a tough call as to whether or not they were worth it. Sorry I can't give you real torque/HP numbers. Butt dyno enjoys the mods though.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    I think it takes a lot more than ten horse power to get a 1/4 second off.

Those are the exact same mods I plan to do. So I'm very curious to see if anybody has any insight on this.
    Great minds think alike

I appreciate that J
    feeling faster should be whats really important..
    and I hope to be in your place soon looking back at what I have done. and thinking hey my car feels better runs better sounds better
    and I just shaved ...... off of my ..........

when I get them done I will be sure to post results.

With aFe intake, TSE3 catback and eurocharged tune it felt significantly quicker and more responsive to my butt. I could certainly feel the love drain from my soul as I parted the car out to stock and was left with what I once thought was a peppy car. It was still the same incredible zhp, but it lacked the growl, twitchiness, and umph when hitting the throttle. If you live in a state where you can do headers that is the best mod you can do (def get a tune as well).

The mystic blue ZHP has AFE CAI, Dinan throttle body, Magnaflow catback, Active Autowerk custom tune (specifically matched to the aforementioned mods), & a 3.38 open diff (vs stock 3.07). My guess is a 10% HP gain, torque increase was less noticeable until the diff swap, that really woke the car up. It was dyno'd at 200 hp and 203 ft-lbs at the rear wheel (235hp stock is at the flywheel, typically lose 15-20% of power when measured at the wheel) after the catback exhaust only. Haven't been able to schedule a retest after the other mods were installed but it will break traction in lower gears.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Pretty sure this same thread is running in the General section, I replied there but would like to restate that without catless headers in the mix you will be lucky to see 15hp from your list of mods. I have taken apart the factory exhaust manifolds and you would not believe how restrictive they are. All the exhaust from the small runners necks down to a 1" tube before flowing into the catalytic converter. 1"! That is sooooo small. Your car is choked to death. It was given better cams by BMW, but without more breathing, they do very little.

You want 20hp? A set of 150 ebay headers will give it to you without much more than an intake to let some more air in too.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast