Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 346 m3 vs zhp

I will speak from personal experience from owning both a 2002 E46 M3 and my current 2004 ZHP.

When I first got into the BMW brand, it was with my wife and buying her a 3.0 X5. We loved that thing and at the time I had a clean title heavily modded 270WHP Grand Prix GTP. So I started to do some looking around for a new car and originally found that I really really like the ZHP over the M3. However after test driving a Dinan badged SMG M3, I was sold and ended up buying it that day. The power that an M3 has is absolutely incredible!!! It is raw but checked and subtle (depending on mods of course) but when you want to drive it as a drivers car, it is more than willing to let you drop the hammer and ask if you have anything else to throw at it. I ended doing some subtle mods to the car. JIC Coilovers, UUC Sways, (kept the Dinan mods, exhaust, intakes, software), Euro SMG flash and wheels. This thing was planted, firm in every corner I threw it at and took off like a bat outta hell. BUT..... I was currently driving about 75 miles/day on it for a local job and the miles added up quick in 2 years. That being said, the maintenance cost started to go up and up. Before I threw in the towel I was looking at having to drop 3-4K out of my pocket for a steering issue(it constantly felt like I was on ice on a clear dry summer day) and other internal issues.

Before I threw in the towel I actively started looking at my first choice the ZHP. I was lucky enough to find this one with all my options I set out for (Black, Natural Brown, 6MT, low low mileage). After having owned this car for longer than I have owned any car I have ever had, I can honestly say this is the best thing I have driven, PERIOD. My maintenance costs are reasonable (when i actually DO take it in, which is only twice since i've owned the car) and my mods, while subtle and many are very reasonably priced as well. I couldn't say those two statements at all when I owned the M3, that car commands a higher premium for parts/labor/etc. over the standard E46. This should ABSOLUTELY be what you take into consideration when thinking about the M3. Seriously, find an M3 online, then spec out the list of things you want to do to it, exterior, interior and engine. Then do the same with a non-M3 and compare pricing.

I also really appreciate the insurance aspect of the ZHP over the M3. When I had the M, it was a sports car coupe which drove my insurance up considerably. But with this, it is only classified as a sedan and those additional OEM performance options we have are not taken into consideration (or at least with my insurance buddy).

All said and done:

Pro's for M3:
    Power, Power, Power
    Instantly recognizable as a performance car. PERIOD

Con's for M3:
    Maintenance costs are high (at my time of ownership)
    Mod costs are high
    Insurance costs are high (depending on age and state of course)

Pro's for ZHP:
    Realistic maintenance costs
    Realistic modding costs
    Realistic Insurance costs

Con's for ZHP:
    ummmm.....well I guess the lower HP? I don't know....... I personally would of loved an SMG option (i know I know, people here hate that but I LOVED LOVED LOVED my SMG and felt like a formula 1 driver especially in the twisty mountains we have around Phoenix)

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    I will speak from personal experience from owning both a 2002 E46 M3 and my current 2004 ZHP.

Con's for ZHP:
    ummmm.....well I guess the lower HP? I don't know....... I personally would of loved an SMG option (i know I know, people here hate that but I LOVED LOVED LOVED my SMG and felt like a formula 1 driver especially in the twisty mountains we have around Phoenix)

I can honestly say if my vert was a real SMG not an auto I would be a lot less tempted to want to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

Quote Originally Posted by QC_ZHP View Post
    That gif had me rolling NewJack! Haha.

In all seriousness, its up to you to buy what you want. Me? I'd keep the ZHP, save the $5000, s54 swap. 4 doors FTW.
    The second you throw S54 swap into the mix, you're already spending more than the $5000 you're supposedly saving for a car that still isn't up to M3 standards (suspension, body, etc.).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by diverse View Post
    I was doing some calculations
    for an additional 5000 or three months of savings
    I can get a low mileage M3 from car max 53k-80k miles
    vs the zhp

if you could wait the three months and save the additionl 5k necessary to get the loan
    would you?

or would you just get the ZHP for the 5k lower price now?
    I have both

If you're looking for pros/cons.... then look at bullfrogs_M3's post above

Diverse, I'm not trying to be critical, but your posts are very broken and hard to read. Seriously. I find it difficult to figure out what you are asking most of the time. To promote a healthier discussion, please try to make your posts more coherent.

If you are building a car through modification, I would go with swapping in the engine instead of buying the ///M because most things you replace, you will upgrade it better than OEM ///M, such as suspension, bushings, etc. If you buying the cars outright, it makes no sense to buy the ZHP if you want the S54. Just buy an ///M.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The second you throw S54 swap into the mix, you're already spending more than the $5000 you're supposedly saving for a car that still isn't up to M3 standards (suspension, body, etc.).
    I agree to a certain extent. There's plenty of ways to do the swap, but I'd just buy a wrecked M off copart. From there its just research and swapping parts (I say it like its so easy which I know its not.)

good posts guys thanks

you are right lots of reading when I google zhp vs m3 .

I thought I had read most of the zhp info but never saw this.

Thanks again.

^ It all comes down to what you're looking for in a car. You can't have it all, so you have to choose what's more important to you:
    Lower cost $$$ or performance.

I so wish you could get both (in a BMW).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I have both

If you're looking for pros/cons.... then look at bullfrogs_M3's post above
    +1

Just for example, raw costs of an oil change exceeds $90 just in oil and material.

Perfect example of why I stopped tracking the Z and went to the 128. Rotors, tires, brakes...etc are all additional cost over normal.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post

When I first got into the BMW brand, it was with my wife and buying her a 3.0 X5. We loved that thing and at the time I had a clean title heavily modded 270WHP Grand Prix GTP. So I started to do some looking around for a new car and originally found that I really really like the ZHP over the M3. However after test driving a Dinan badged SMG M3, I was sold and ended up buying it that day. The power that an M3 has is absolutely incredible!!! It is raw but checked and subtle (depending on mods of course) but when you want to drive it as a drivers car, it is more than willing to let you drop the hammer and ask if you have anything else to throw at it. I ended doing some subtle mods to the car. JIC Coilovers, UUC Sways, (kept the Dinan mods, exhaust, intakes, software), Euro SMG flash and wheels. This thing was planted, firm in every corner I threw it at and took off like a bat outta hell. BUT..... I was currently driving about 75 miles/day on it for a local job and the miles added up quick in 2 years. That being said, the maintenance cost started to go up and up. Before I threw in the towel I was looking at having to drop 3-4K out of my pocket for a steering issue(it constantly felt like I was on ice on a clear dry summer day) and other internal issues.

Before I threw in the towel I actively started looking at my first choice the ZHP. I was lucky enough to find this one with all my options I set out for (Black, Natural Brown, 6MT, low low mileage). After having owned this car for longer than I have owned any car I have ever had, I can honestly say this is the best thing I have driven, PERIOD. My maintenance costs are reasonable (when i actually DO take it in, which is only twice since i've owned the car) and my mods, while subtle and many are very reasonably priced as well. I couldn't say those two statements at all when I owned the M3, that car commands a higher premium for parts/labor/etc. over the standard E46. This should ABSOLUTELY be what you take into consideration when thinking about the M3. Seriously, find an M3 online, then spec out the list of things you want to do to it, exterior, interior and engine. Then do the same with a non-M3 and compare pricing.

I also really appreciate the insurance aspect of the ZHP over the M3. When I had the M, it was a sports car coupe which drove my insurance up considerably. But with this, it is only classified as a sedan and those additional OEM performance options we have are not taken into consideration (or at least with my insurance buddy).

All said and done:

Pro's for M3:
    Power, Power, Power
    Instantly recognizable as a performance car. PERIOD

Con's for M3:
    Maintenance costs are high (at my time of ownership)
    Mod costs are high
    Insurance costs are high (depending on age and state of course)

Pro's for ZHP:
    Realistic maintenance costs
    Realistic modding costs
    Realistic Insurance costs

Con's for ZHP:
    This was awesome.
    Yes my original motivation, when deciding which car to purchase, was cost of ownership. I needed it to be as low as possible.
    I did not want to look back see that I had spent crazy cash on my m3.

After driving one I fell in love with the ride
    unfortunately the zhp I purchased and am waiting for is an automatic.

my fear is that I wont like it as much
    I should possibly have held out for a manual.

In any case
    I did love your explanation of your experiences in both rides.

I have heard the sentiment echoed from others that have owned both cars
    that they have either returned to zhp or went from m3 and other m cars and came without regret to zhp.

very interesting. I cant wait till mine delivers so I can test drive it finally.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast