Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On-Hand Spares for Long Trip

I'm planning to take a trip from Dayton, OH to Jacksonville, FL in a couple of weeks to attend the Amelia Island Concours. Since I'll be travelling through the "wilds" of KY, TN and GA most of the way, can anybody suggest any on-hand spares? The shop where I bought the car did the Inspection II and replaced the water pump, thermostat and both alternator and A/C belts. I've heard the overflow container can give up the ghost and create havoc. The car still has 57K miles because we're still buried in snow. Just had to get that in there. Basically, my concern is there aren't BMW shops in every little town between here and Florida. I fully trust the car will make it. (I work in Air Force logistics so forgive me if it looks like I'm getting myself worked up over nothing). Thank you in advance for your information. Chris

At your mileage my primary concerns would be thermostat and water pump, both of which you've addressed. I wouldn't sweat the expansion tank. It should still have at least 30k left in it.

Fuel filter, engine drive belts, and pulleys are the other things that are a good idea to change out at 60K. If you thaw out enough to address them, I'd just do them before you go (if possible).
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Thank you kayger 12!!

I am planning to pick a car up in the Atlanta are and drive back to Wisconsin. The owner has replaced radiator hoses disa valve vanos whole bunch of stuff. He said tires have fifty percent but reading this post I remember him saying the thermostat might have an issue. The car is on the FS forum for 8999 located in GA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCSL#25 View Post
    Thank you kayger 12!!
    Very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Oil and 50/50 coolant.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.
    ^This. Always have both in the trunk of my ride.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

That's a good idea. Does someone sell pre mixed bmw coolant or do you have to mix it with water yourself?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    That's a good idea. Does someone sell pre mixed bmw coolant or do you have to mix it with water yourself?
    I've never seen it sold premixed. Pretty sure they only sell the gallon of concentrated coolant.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

BMW stopped selling premixed coolant a few years ago. Remember it mix with distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy concentrated coolant and then mix it into other bottles. I have 50/50 bottles laying in my garage so I don't spend a bunch of time diluting every time I need to add coolant or whatnot.

It's more convenient.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast