Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

View Poll Results: Speed or handling?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Speed - Headers

0 0%
  • Handling - Hotchkis sway bars

15 100.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speed vs. Handling

I -may- be tracking the ZHP for the first time as part of a group with my school. It'll be my first time on any track in general, and I was just wondering, what would you feel is more important? More HP or better handling?

The track is TBA but I'm sure it's going to be a beginner's one since most of us have never been to a track, so it won't be twisty curvy like the Nürburgring or anything crazy.

I still have the headers I bought a month or so ago, but they cost about the same as some Hotchkis sway bars, so I could flip the headers and get new Hotchkis. I'm asking since the mod bug is still here and having either on the car would be fine for DD'ing by me. (This would give me an excuse to get either on)

I've heard great things about the Hotckis even for DD use - as for the headers, it would make DD'ing fun too; the whole illegal issue doesn't faze me, I am willing to take the chance after they're on, once I pass smog without them first.

handling is my choice. but really. i wouldn't do either. go to the first track session and feel out your car first. then you can decide which is more important to you.

I will probably never track it again after that one day. I'm not trying to get either mod on for the track day, it's more to feel how different it is from just spirited driving through a canyon road & take advantage of it.

Because I had these headers way before the track day thing was even suggested. I was also eyeing Hotchkis for the past couple months. The upcoming date is just an opportunity to use them, since I had never planned for the headers to see a track anyway back then.

Famous last words! Well not everybody gets hooked, but there is always that risk. You could become a track addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKO_ZHP View Post
    I will probably never track it again after that one day.

It's gonna be dependent on whether you're ok with putting up with the emission issues associated with headers. I had Hotchkis sways on my ZHP and absolutely LOVED them! Completely changed the handling of the car for the better.

I'd say go for the sways. These cars aren't that fast in a straight line and I always had more fun in the corners with my ZHP than in a straight line.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

well then i'd still go with the sways. why can't you just do both? the headers aren't going to feel like that much of an upgrade compared to the sways imo. sways would be cheaper overall too, cause you can put that shit on yourself. save money on labor lol put that money towards the new endlinks that you are going to need.

Do neither. Save your money to do another track day in the future.

The ZHP is quite capable in stock form. Focus on learning to drive on the track. Doing it right is harder than people think.

If you decide it's for you. You will see the first upgrade should be your brakes.

Seriously there isn't any reason to spend money on mods for your first track event. Just make sure you have a solid, dependable car. Depending on the track you may want to start with a full set of pads. Flush your brake fluid before you go. Unless that's been done within the last 6 months.

That's about it. Have fun and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKO....since you already have the headers, sell them and then get the Hotchkis sways. I had them on my 323i and loved them. This is probably one of the mods I have left to do to my ZHP... Handling will be improved and you will find that you can go more aggressively into corners.....much improved fun factor

I agree with the "do neither" sentiment. Try to make a track day at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Pahrump, NV - it's spectacular, and I can almost guarantee you'll be back.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Famous last words! Well not everybody gets hooked, but there is always that risk. You could become a track addict.
    Haha very true....but with an auto + final year of college, I am even more discouraged to track after that day. I'm only able to make it since it is on spring break.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    It's gonna be dependent on whether you're ok with putting up with the emission issues associated with headers. I had Hotchkis sways on my ZHP and absolutely LOVED them! Completely changed the handling of the car for the better.

I'd say go for the sways. These cars aren't that fast in a straight line and I always had more fun in the corners with my ZHP than in a straight line.
    I'm totally fine with the risks that come with headers in CA. The original plan was to get them on just because.
    What did you do with the factory bars?

Quote Originally Posted by tkundhi View Post
    Do neither. Save your money to do another track day in the future.

The ZHP is quite capable in stock form. Focus on learning to drive on the track. Doing it right is harder than people think.

If you decide it's for you. You will see the first upgrade should be your brakes.

Seriously there isn't any reason to spend money on mods for your first track event. Just make sure you have a solid, dependable car. Depending on the track you may want to start with a full set of pads. Flush your brake fluid before you go. Unless that's been done within the last 6 months.

That's about it. Have fun and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't originally get the headers for the track event, since I bought them in January and they were just a mod "for the hell of it." But the event made it seem like it could be a + versus not having them on that day.

I have been looking into sway bars (namely Hotchkis, have read all the UUC, TMS, etc. comparisons) for a while though, just to improve DD'ing and also to make the occasional spirited driving a little more fun....also would be intended for just regular use.

(Basically what I'm saying is I wanted to do these mods already even before I knew I was going to a track event.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast