Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Ima zig zagger.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Having big wheels doesn't always mean they are bad with highly uneven surfaces. What you need to find is a combination of a rigid wheel with a weight that doesn't slow you down too much. Too light and it'll bend. To rigid and it'll be enormously overweight. But if you find the ideal combination to your conditions the wheel will be light enough to absorb energy without bending or shattering.

I've never had a problem with my 19's in 3 years. Drove from Vancouver to LA, and countless miles in town on bumpy roads while driving into potholes large enough to swallow a 14" Corolla wheel. My VMRs are light enough to handle the shock which in turn can distribute energy throughout all it's weight, keeping the wheel from shattering or permanently bending.

Ever noticed that the majority of OEM wheels are pretty heavy? Ever noticed how those wheels rarely bend and break? The car manufacturer would rather not spend valuable time and money replacing/fixing wheels on a car during it's warranty period.

There's a whole science I've learned on lightweight vs rigidity that would surprise most of you here. Lightweight isn't all that it's cracked up to be!! But that's other topic if anyone wants to learn that.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert
    Having big wheels doesn't always mean they are bad with highly uneven surfaces. What you need to find is a combination of a rigid wheel with a weight that doesn't slow you down too much. Too light and it'll bend. To rigid and it'll be enormously overweight. But if you find the ideal combination to your conditions the wheel will be light enough to absorb energy without bending or shattering.

I've never had a problem with my 19's in 3 years. Drove from Vancouver to LA, and countless miles in town on bumpy roads while driving into potholes large enough to swallow a 14" Corolla wheel. My VMRs are light enough to handle the shock which in turn can distribute energy throughout all it's weight, keeping the wheel from shattering or permanently bending.

Ever noticed that the majority of OEM wheels are pretty heavy? Ever noticed how those wheels rarely bend and break? The car manufacturer would rather not spend valuable time and money replacing/fixing wheels on a car during it's warranty period.

There's a whole science I've learned on lightweight vs rigidity that would surprise most of you here. Lightweight isn't all that it's cracked up to be!! But that's other topic if anyone wants to learn that.
    Sounds like a new thread, Trevor. I'd love the education if you're willing to share your knowledge.

I kinda figured it would be common sense that a lightweight wheel isn't as strong has a heavy one, but nobody wants to see it the same way. lol
    For a daily driven car, a lightweight wheel isn't worth the effort. The impact of negatives is absolutely minimal.

But,
    If I had lightweight wheels as the daily set, they'd still be bent because the roads here are so bad you cannot possibly avoid the potholes. In fact, it's guaranteed that you'll hit over 50% of the them.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Nice wheels Trevor. I just purchased 19" V710's for my 1er. They are hot looking.

Jeff, be sure to post a picture of them when you have them on.

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    A sedan with 18" 220M wheels:
    I bet he doesn't even realize he has bricks strapped to each corner of his car! No good for auto-x.. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they only weighed as much as M135's

At least he looks quite stylish crossing the finish lap with the slowest time!! LOL
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

haha Waiting for BlockedOut to defend his wheels...
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    I bet he doesn't even realize he has bricks strapped to each corner of his car! No good for auto-x.. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they only weighed as much as M135's
    You're right that the 18s are about the same as our M135s.

(From BMWfans.info)
    M68
    • 7.5" x 17" ET 41 20.836 lb
    • 8.5" x 17" ET 50 21.870 lb
    M135
    • 8.0" x 18" ET 47 24.749 lb
    • 8.5" x 18" ET 50 26.292 lb
    M219
    • 8.5" x 18" ET 29 25.964 lb
    • 9.5" x 18" ET 23 23.226 lb
    M220
    • 8.5" x 19" ET 29 29.247 lb
    • 9.5" x 19" ET 23 29.247 lb

As a side note, I'm pretty set on getting a set of M68s for autoXing . . .

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast