Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Failed Rear Shock Mounts?

I'm pretty sure these are shot. I have been noticing an occasional thud in the rear the past few days. I haven't pulled the carpet back on the passenger side but here's what the drivers side looks like

It seen different mount and some of the photos I found online are very similar between a supposed failed mount and a good mount (obvious failures suck as shock through the carpet excluded)

Can anyone with specific experience chime in and replacement recommendations if needed? Thanks!

A shop that did my shocks recommended Meyle RSMs when I replaced mine while doing my shocks. I have no experience with worn RSMs.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Ton of options for RSMs. I went w/ Turner but those VAC ones look good as well. The link for them is bad though JP

Sweet I need those, thanks!
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Learning expereince here. Is the picture showing the middle of the mount pushing through the hole in the car farther than it should? Should the entire rubber piece be even with the bolts on either side?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Failed Rear Shock Mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by QC_ZHP View Post
    Ton of options for RSMs. I went w/ Turner but those VAC ones look good as well. The link for them is bad though JP
    Damn, I thought it worked. Just go to VAC's site and look for the shock tower kit

I like the VAC one because the reinforcement plate is bigger than others I've seen

edit: link works for me on both the phone and computer...

SKU: VAC-33-CSTRK-E36/E46

$74.95

edit2: this is the Turner kit for reference, it is only the plates and not upgraded mounts

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-34...ement-kit.aspx

edit3: Rogue also makes a good kit

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/S_BUSH/RSM.html
    Last edited by Hermes; 03-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Learning expereince here. Is the picture showing the middle of the mount pushing through the hole in the car farther than it should? Should the entire rubber piece be even with the bolts on either side?
    This is pretty much the same thing I'm unsure about. Can anyone tell from looking solely at the picture?

9. You can also order up the Z3 series plate (reinforcement) and the mount from stock convertible models which are very strong.
    ZHP Registry - stats and free classifieds.

they don't look failed to me. If you put rear end on jack stands, you can raise and lower the control arms while someone watches the suspect RSM to see if it moves around a lot. Or just raise and lower rear end of car with jack (but don't get under the car while doing that). Once car is on jack stands, also check for play in RTABs and big rear diff bushing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast