Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Should I go to A/T

Just stumbled across an 06 Blk/Blk Coupe with 82,000 miles in mint, mint condition that dealer picked up yesterday. When I stopped by it wasnt even priced yet. He just called---asking $15,900.

Only problem is its an A/T...Grrrrrrrrr

Any auto drivers out there that like their auto. I am really struggling here.

Mine is AT and it's fine. I made it a little more fun putting the paddle shift mod on and getting the Dinan STEP s/w (the difference is minor though). In manual mode, STEP doesn't shift as fast as I'd like, so you have to kind of change your shift points to get used to it, but you do figure it out. So it's good that you can shift, but don't have to.

It in no way replaces a manual though. I drove a late model Miata as a rental car and it's paddles shifted much quicker, the technology is just better today than back then.

I chose AT so that my wife could also drive my car, and for dealing with the LA traffic. I'm happy with my decision. However, all things being equal I'd rather drive a manual, and that's the best way to get all you can out of your ZHP.

The fact that you asked the question to me seems like you wouldn't be satisfied with AT and you'd kick yourself every time you got the car. Sounds to me like you should hold out for an MT. For me, I have no issues that I went with AT.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I would probably take less for mine. Auto sucks, but at least it's steptronic and not traditional auto

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPESQ View Post
    Just stumbled across an 06 Blk/Blk Coupe with 82,000 miles in mint, mint condition that dealer picked up yesterday. When I stopped by it wasnt even priced yet. He just called---asking $15,900.

Only problem is its an A/T...Grrrrrrrrr

Any auto drivers out there that like their auto. I am really struggling here.
    I really liked my auto while I had it, but I was always searching for a manual and decided I'd get an auto. I eventually started searching for a manual ZHP again. If you were stuck on manual get a manual. Autos are great especially with steptronic and the paddles for weekend drives, but it can't be something it isn't.

I autocross with my auto. Works fine for me. I'm just as fast as everybody else.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Depends on the type of driving you do. Mine is AT and I really enjoy that I don't have to row through gears all day. Having driven stick for 15 years, I find that BMW AT is quite a step up from the traditional versions. There are times when I wish it was a manual but 80% of the time I'm happy it's not. As John pointed out, if you were set on a manual, hold out for one. ZHPs are not that rare.
    Call me Giya (sounds just like Karmann Ghia) | '05 ZHP Coupé AT - Sparkling Graphite Metallic | Project thread

Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German

+1. My e90 is auto and I enjoy it all day.

Of all the vehicles I have owned, it's been a half and half split between manuals and autos. Over the years I learned that some vehicles simply don't work well as manuals like tow vehicles. My current truck is an automatic and it works very well for it's intended tasks. All of the small light weight vehicles I have owned have been manuals and they worked well that way except for when AC was in use. It just made rowing through the gears a painful labor.

As far as reliablity goes, I have to admit all the autos I owned were trouble free. Most of the manuals had problems like clutch replacement, bad syncros, throwout bearing or full blown gear failure.

When I was test driving E46s I did try some sticks but they all felt to me like too much work. Just not enough low torque for the weight of the car. Maybe I got old and lazy but when I test drove my AT ZHP I thought it was really cool how it shifted like it had a shift kit in it and it just seemed effortless. I know for a fact there is no way I can shift as quickly or smoothly as the automatic does. I can honestly say, there is a four way stop on my way home from work where I thank myself daily for not holding out for a manual car.

The AT is a really nice unit that works well, imo. It's all down to personal preferance. To my fellow Step Brothers. We are not second class zhp owners.

We definitely don't allow AT bashing (or any other bashing) here. That is just waaay too tired regardless of our policy.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
    Depends on the type of driving you do. Mine is AT and I really enjoy that I don't have to row through gears all day. Having driven stick for 15 years, I find that BMW AT is quite a step up from the traditional versions. There are times when I wish it was a manual but 80% of the time I'm happy it's not. As John pointed out, if you were set on a manual, hold out for one. ZHPs are not that rare.
    +1. Depends on circumstances traffic, health, usage, etc). I like my AT, but do miss the MT from time to time...but not when sitting in traffic.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast