Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydraulic or Mechanical Tensioner Pulleys on my ZHP

I am replacing the tension pulleys and belts on my 2005 330ci ZHP 6mt. I'm going to do all three. Which pulleys are mechanical and which ones are hydraulic? Can't tell with the fan and shroud in place. Need to order the parts. Build is 10/04. Is realOEM.com accurate?

AC = Mechanical

Water pump pulley tensioner = could be mechanical, but I would upgrade to hydraulic.

Deflection pulley = mechanical ball bearing wheel.

Real oem is good for part number. Grab the number and throw it in the store site you choose.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I like mechanical.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    I like mechanical.
    So do I. Granted, my hydro unit has 208k miles on it.

Dane, is that why you say hydro is better? Longevity?

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Yes. It's "improved"

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

It's the bearings that fail. Doesn't the hydro version have the same bearings that the mechanical version does?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    It's the bearings that fail. Doesn't the hydro version have the same bearings that the mechanical version does?
    In my experience, the common wear part is the mechanical spring. The bearing on the deflection pulley is the one that evaporates.

Anything can happen fella's.

Sure.... Don't use the upgraded, newer designed hydraulic unit. Use the mechanical one.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    In my experience, the common wear part is the mechanical spring. The bearing on the deflection pulley is the one that evaporates.

Anything can happen fella's.

Sure.... Don't use the upgraded, newer designed hydraulic unit. Use the mechanical one.
    I'm not disputing. I am only trying to understand exactly what needs to be replaced because at least one of mine is making noise after a cold start. I would think I only need to replace the pulley with bearing part and not the entire assembly with tensioner.

I know. I'm just screwing with you. It's all good. I think I got 100k miles out of my mechanical setup. We (enthusiasts) don't typically let stuff fail (preventative maintenance) so I think either setup is fine. I thought it was tough to find the mechanical water pump tensioner though (superceded)? Maybe not

Autozone.com
    Sooo, is there a way to tell if you have the had or mech WP tensioner? I am assembling the parts to do the belts, pulleys, and tensioners, but don't know if I need just a hyd tensioner or the "upgrade" kit as advertised by some vendors.

Also, does anyone make upgraded metal pulleys, but not underdrive ones?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast