Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ingredients for an hour in the garage

1. One wrench turner (ZHP Mafia dome cover optional)....

2. The appropriate parts, fluids, and shop supplies (plus your favorite absorbent materials)....

3. The right tools for the job....

Err.... that was on top of the right tool for this job... (that's my 18" breaker bar...and 18" extension in case an overzealous inspection mechanic overtorques my lug nuts)

1/2" drive deflecting beam torque wrench... plus 1/2" drive 32mm socket for the oil filter housing. I also did not take a picture of the 3/8" drive racheting socket wrench and associated 3/8" drive 17mm socket.

Commentary:

My apologies for the cellphone pics... mobile photobucket and auto upload on my BB makes life a lot easier.

No ZHP Mafia beenies were harmed during the hour in the garage... (I removed and rolled around the floor with a baseball hat).

When I drained the oil, I took a sample and plan on sending to Blackstone tomorrow (hopefully) or Tuesday.

I switched from BMW synthetic 5W-30 because I did not plan ahead appropriately and only had 4 quarts left in the garage. So (remembering Dane's discussion on approved oils) I headed out to Wal-mart and picked up the only thing they had - Valvoline SynPower 5W-30. No Mobil 1 0W-40. No Pennzoil Platinum Ultra blah blah. No Castrol European Formula.

I plan on taking another sample in 7500 miles and seeing if/how the results change with the SynPower.
    Last edited by billschusteriv; 02-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Great write up. Thanks for doing it.

Hey.....just so you know....and I hate to even bring it up now...but there is some debate on whether or not the BMW site is in error.
    Look at the back and make sure you see BMW LL-01, and the appropriate ACEA spec. Regardless...I think your ok....and I never really thought much of the post...because I always just hit up NAPA or Advance for the Mobil I. Lemme know what you find out.

Sleep well.....lol

Oh yeah...great writeup too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Sleep well.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Hey.....just so you know....and I hate to even bring it up now...but there is some debate on whether or not the BMW site is in error.
    Look at the back and make sure you see BMW LL-01, and the appropriate ACEA spec. Regardless...I think your ok....and I never really thought much of the post...because I always just hit up NAPA or Advance for the Mobil I. Lemme know what you find out.

Sleep well.....lol

Oh yeah...great writeup too.

Thanks for the followup. Not too late. I plan on switching back to BMW synthetic after this oil change - if there is a discrepancy, one oil change should make too much of a difference. (I hope)

This is what I found on BMW's website:

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

•Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
    •Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
    •Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
    •Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher.

This is what I got from Valvoline's website:

SAE 5W-30: Is the most recommended grade in today's new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturers' warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where an API SM, SL, or CF oil is recommended. SynPower 5W-30 exceeds the requirements of ILSAC GF-3 and GF-4 for API Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards and ACEA A1/A5.

But then, I found this... http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf. Valvoline SynPower MST? Apparently not just for diesels. Carries an official LL-04 rating... and an unofficial LL-01 rating.

The information the BMW, Valvoline, and distributors websites is so inconsistent. Grr. I can't even begin to try to make sense of it all. It is time to sleep on it.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I think that's the part that doesn't fit. I think it needs to meet ACEA A3/B5.....?

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

When I was checking this out...I took a pic and posed the question. Here is the back of the Valvoline jug...

And here is the front of the synpower. I am assuming this what you used?

That's the stuff.

Guys,
    Honestly, does it really even matter? As long as you keep the engine lubed, the brand doesn't matter that much unless it's for a special application of some sort. Relaaaaaaax!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Guys,
    Honestly, does it really even matter? As long as you keep the engine lubed, the brand doesn't matter that much unless it's for a special application of some sort. Relaaaaaaax!
    I don't think anybody is really concerned with the brand, but instead with the spec and quality rating- which BMW recommends for a reason...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast