Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
  1. OEM like shock alternative for the ZHP

Hi folks, as many of you here my car has reached the "shocks are shot" age. Since the ZHP serves as my daily driver I wasn't looking to make the ride and lower or harsher.

The top contenders for me were:

FSD - reviews are 50/50. Saw many posts with early failures.

SRT - Couldn't get a true sense on how these compare to OEM

Bilstein Touring or B4 - Pulled the trigger on these only to find out that the front struts are not available from factory and they are scrambling to build them.

This brought me back to Sachs/Boge. After reading more and more about Sachs I came across their literature that essentially splits the shocks into Super Touring and Advantage lines. It looks like Advantage is the old TurboGas line used by Boge.

Long story short I came across some interesting data that suggests that pre 2002 330i Sports came with Advantage line of shocks. But then BMW started using the same suspension on all E46s regardless of sport/non-sport package presence. Additionally they switched to using the cheaper Super Touring line.

One interesting thing I will mention is that I owned a 2001 330i Sport and also 2004 330i Sport. And I felt that the 2001 car felt a lot sportier (minus the overboosted power steering).

So.... I decided to conduct an experiment. I pulled the trigger on a set of Advantage shocks and struts that are listed as 2001 330i Sport units as oppose to the ones listed as the units for 2002+ models.

I installed this set 3 days ago and am very happy with the results. No matter which shocks I would have gone with I obviously would feel a difference between new and old but these units are very nicely paired with the springs and the weight of this car. Cars feel comfy, stiff and more importantly very confident at very high speeds (professional driver on a closed course).

I was able to score these struts at autozone and with their discount at the time they were 147 bucks which is cheaper than the Super Touring line you'll typically see as the correct replacement for the 2004 330i Sport. Rears I ended getting from autohausaz.

Interestingly enough, these shocks and struts are used on M-technic models in AU and NZ.

Part numbers

Sachs 556-873 / 556-874 - Front struts
    Sachs 556-884 - rear shock

All and all, can't go wrong with $450 total cost for the swap using the higher end line.
    Be sure to replace the protective boots, top mounts are also recommended.

I wanted to put it out there that this replacement works and things fit nicely together. My ride high is the same but with a noticeably less dive over speed bumps.
    ZHP Registry - stats and free classifieds.

Great info and research.

Thanks for contribution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yes thanks for that. Good to know. I am snooping around on the Sach website and they dont outright say it, but by reading in between the lines it does seem like Sach considers the Advantage shock to be a higher level than their Super Touring:

http://www.zf.com/brands/content/en/...absorbers.html
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge