Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

CEL code P0411 (Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected??

Has anyone had this issue yet? Didnt pass emissions today because of it. Car has 183k on it. Thinking its the secondary air pump...

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

Sure. Look for a crack at the neck of the pump, though I was thinking that may give you a lean condition as well?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Not to plug, but if it's broken I have one I can sell you laying around for cheap.

Probably not broken, though.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Man....i've done too much research on this...so i've had this on my car for years and i'm basically just going to remove the thing because it's not needed. i replaced the pump a couple years ago (and got into a pissing argument with RICHMOND BMW-dicks) and it didn't fix the code.

so there is first the little pressure valve that attaches to the head- check to make sure that is properly functioning. if that isn't functioning properly it wouldn't matter if the pump works or not. next- the pump/hoses/filter. make sure they operate properly/work fine. lastly- i have read some places there is a fuse that can fail and it will cause you to throw that code, i forget where i read this but it was a couple years ago when i actually cared about fixing it. If you lived in a state that didn't do emissions testing this wouldn't matter and i'd tell you not to worry about it. some cars (european models specifically) don't even feature the secondary air intake. it's an american invention to screw you in instances like this and i guess save the environment.

although if someone else has better input feel free to correct me.

i say start with that valve and make sure it's working properly because that piece is cheaper than the pump. so taking if off and inspecting/cleaning it is in my opinion the first step.

Also if the pump fails you should not hear it start. you can have someone start your car while you listen to see if the pump is operating/pulling air.

This thing only runs at initial startup from a "cold" start. so let your car sit for a while and when you start this thing should run for like ~60-90 seconds.

Most of the time with this code it is the check valve on the head that freezes up and won't open. Thus, when the pump runs, no flow is detected by the computer. You can easily see if the pump is good by disconnecting the connection to the check valve and when you crank it in the morning, you should hear a LARGE amount of air coming from the tube.

It is pretty simple to fix.

Here is the diagram. Disconnect where #7 hose meets #17 check valve. Replace stuck check valve. Note the check valve is a newer design for all 03 and up cars.

And link to page on realoem.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=11&fg=50

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

I get a secondary air pump code from time to time. It comes for a week then as mysteriously as it appeared, it vanishes for 6 months. I don't worry about it anymore lol.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer