Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Defeated by the VANOS oil return

My vanos oil reline has been spitting oil for awhile and I finally made a trip to the Dealer for the line. Today is the day. I start pulling parts of of the engine to get access to the return line. Strike 1 I realize that I'm going to need to pull the manifold off. I keep pulling things off, usually in the wrong order. Strike 2 my hands are too big to squeeze between the manifold and the firewall to disconnect the fuel line. I fucked with that for probably 40 minutes. Strike 3 I notice that I don't appear to have the right sized crescent wrench to undo the oil return bolts.

Is it possible/plausible to do this w/o pulling the intake manifold off? Anyone have any experience w this to give me tips on disconnecting the fuel line?

If we're talking about the same line you shouldn't need to pull the intake.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...diy+oil+feeder
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

No need to remove the manifold.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    In the market for an E90 M3

19mm Banjo bolt and two crush washers per connection. No need to pull the manifold. However it's not that hard to get the manifold off with proper panel removal. Undo the DME side heat shield and the wiper motor plate with the two twist-to-pop rivets.

Hope this helps.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Fuel rail removal/disconnection is accomplished by snipping some zipties (aid of a mirror is suggested). The rail it self is connected to the line by a push to release connection. There are special tools, but it can be completed with out them.

Remember to release pressure from the rail via the Schraeder valve at the forward part of the rail. The rail will depressurize and make removing the hose easier.

There are four 10mm bolts holding the rail to the manifold. They need to be removed and then you need to work on the rail from each end. The injectors are held in by O-rings only at this point. They will need to be rocked out gently or you risk bending the rail. Ask me how I know...however you can source used rails cheap on ebay or parts pulls for cheap. Paid $20 shipped for my replacement.

You shouldn't have to do any of this, but I hope this helps you with the repair!!
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

I think he's talking about a different connection/line if he's referring to the firewall.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I think he's talking about a different connection/line if he's referring to the firewall.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=11&fg=15

Part 15, no?
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Yes. I suppose where he talks about squeezing his chubby whittle fingers between the manifold and "firewall" is where it threw me off.

I honestly don't think I've ever pulled the other side of that hose off.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yes, part 15, but also yes to Dane. It's the fuel line to the fuel rail that I cant get disconnected. And my fingers arent fat, its the palm of my hand that I can barely squeeze between the manifold and the firewall. Kayger, I'll give that a whirl, but honestly, it seems like just as much work as pulling the manifold off.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...00&hg=13&fg=15
    My problem is separating 11

Autozone.com
    Pull the rear HVAC cover and you will expose more room. Take a set of channel locks and press the fitting down into the hose to release it. See the psot above. What clearance do you need to undo the banjo bolts? You can move the power steering reservoir and unclip the return line that way.

Loosen the Oil filter cap to drain the oil from the hosing to minimize leakage from the OFH upon removal of the lower point.

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast