Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detail BMW 330 ZHP Exhaust Tips?

While I read on another forum that the best way to clean/detail the OEM exhaust tips on an E46 was to remove them ("just pull them off", my ZHP tips are welded to the rest of the exhaust system. Two questions. (1) are all of the ZHP OEM tips like that, and (2) any good hints as to how to clean them (outside of the Mother's Chrome products)? John
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

mwscircle, a member here, uses a steel-wood product on my exhaust tips (on both cars). Shoot a PM to him.

The exhaust tips always look great when he's finished.

When the car is cool, I just use a little Meguiar's All Metal polish on a microfiber cloth. Place the middle of the rag over the top of the pipe, grasp both ends and alternately pull back and forth like a shoeshine does.

Mine are welded as well.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Eli that's much too graphical of a DIY for guys here that are so used to that already.

I use a product that I sell online through my own store:

High grade stainless steel for our high grade stainless steel exhaust pipes! LOL
    I usually use them with just running water as I rub the pads over all the caked on crap. After some elbow work, the pipes are smooth, shiny, and clean! Then I dry and just follow it with a metal polish for chrome which removes any oxidation off the surface.

My good friend took an awesome picture of my exhaust now. It's gone through 2 owners previous to this and a lot of nasty crap including baked on tar and road grime. You'd never know it had tens of thousands of miles on it:
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Thanks for all the great advice. It seems counter-intuitive that using the steel on steel doesn't scratch... how is it that it doesn't, or do you have to go very lightly to avoid that?
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

With my pad I can go on hard. It's very smooth on the hand when in good condition. There was once a demo that rubbed a new Scrub Bud on a lady's (sometimes a man) stockings/leggings, and after a nice rubbing there were no runs!
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    Eli that's much too graphical of a DIY for guys here that are so used to that already.

I use a product that I sell online through my own store:

High grade stainless steel for our high grade stainless steel exhaust pipes! LOL
    I usually use them with just running water as I rub the pads over all the caked on crap. After some elbow work, the pipes are smooth, shiny, and clean! Then I dry and just follow it with a metal polish for chrome which removes any oxidation off the surface.

My good friend took an awesome picture of my exhaust now. It's gone through 2 owners previous to this and a lot of nasty crap including baked on tar and road grime. You'd never know it had tens of thousands of miles on it:
    That's more work than needed. I used to do something similar to that until someone showed me the All Metal Polish way to do it one day when we were doing detail work on my my car. Additionally, the steel scrubber could easily scratch the trim area around exhaust tips.

My stock exhaust tip had a chunk bend/squished/taken out from it thanks to me backing into a driveway that was too steep. LOL That's a more expensive way to come to a stop. Look Ma, no brakes!
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

I use #0000 Steel Wool and some Blue Metal Polish you can find OTC. Then I throw Poorboys Wheel Sealant to help protect from anything bonding to it for future cleaning

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast