Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Big Maintenance

Since purchasing the car in Feb., I have replaced the front rotors and pads and the rear shocks. This weekend I am tackling the full cooling system refresh. I have done this on my E36 M3, but have no experience with the E46. Anything special I should look out for? Everything looks packed in there pretty tight, but I would imagine it is pretty straight forward. BTW, I am using the Stage 3 kit from ECS. Any comments or tips would be helpful. Thank you.

Yes. Very straight forward. You'll have no problems with the exception of the expansion tank, hoses, bleed and temp sensor
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Seriously though. There are good DIY's on this site to get the expansion tank out.

You'll have to muscle the hoses off. Make sure the steel slide clips are fully undone (remove them if you have to).

Read up on the bleeding procedure.

How do you plan to drain? From the expansion tank or the block? Both? Are you going to flush?

Just food for thought.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Use your biggest hammer to get that expansion tank off! Or just take out the entire mount and disassemble outside the vehicle. But that isn't any fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

IndvdlM: It looks packed in tight but once you remove the electric fan (MT) or mechanical fan and shroud (AT) and the serpentine belt, and take off the plastic undertray, then there's lots of room to work.

Lots of room

Go to the hardware store and buy two 10mm bolts that are relatively long and have a pitch of 1.00. Use them to remove the water pump. There are two threaded holes that don't have anything in them. That will push the WP away from the block. it's simple and easy and you won't puncture your Radiator when the pump comes flying off because you used a pickle fork on it...
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Go to the hardware store and buy two 10mm bolts that are relatively long and have a pitch of 1.00. Use them to remove the water pump. There are two threaded holes that don't have anything in them. That will push the WP away from the block. it's simple and easy and you won't puncture your Radiator when the pump comes flying off because you used a pickle fork on it...
    Quoting this so I can have it next week when I do my refresh as well. Good tip!

Sent from Outerspace using iphone 13

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    On the E36 you just reused the bolts that held the WP in place. Is that not the case with the E46?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast