Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Out of State Car Purchase

I am looking at a 330i in Dallas, TX. Does anyone have any suggestions/words of wisdom that I might want to know about if I am seriously considering flying into Dallas to buy a car?

What is the best way to proceed once you decide you want to buy the car from a private party seller in another state?

Arrange for a prepurchase inspection at a local BMW dealer. This will require the cooperation of the seller to make sure the car gets there.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

If the car has a lien on it, do the transaction at the bank where the loan is held if possible.

Marcus might have some legal advice.

Make sure you don't pay sale taxes in both states!

I bought mine in TN and drove it to KY, and then paid the taxes when I registered it (in KY). Perhaps there is a deal between TN and KY.

Laws are likely to change from state to state though.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Make sure you don't pay sale taxes in both states!

I bought mine in TN and drove it to KY, and then paid the taxes when I registered it (in KY). Perhaps there is a deal between TN and KY.

Laws are likely to change from state to state though.
    Good advice, Oli. Chances are that if you pay taxes in the originating state, you'll pay the rest of the taxes in your home state (assuming they're higher). California is infamous for that.

I purchased a car in Idaho (6% sales tax). Moved to California less than a year later. I had to pay the difference. If it had been longer than a year, I would not have had to pay the difference between the two states.

I just bought a ZHP in Phoenix from a dealer, and I live in Texas. I had a blast driving it back. It was the second time I did an out-of-state purchase. The one thing I did not do either time was plan extra time to hang out in the city. Because of work, I had to get back home. If you have never been to Dallas, give yourself some time to take in the city. I'm still kicking myself for not playing some golf in Phoenix.

As for doing the deal, this is how I did mine.

1. Agree upon a price, with the condition that you can backout if anything bad is revealed by the PPI. Because I bought from a dealer I got to use a credit card for the deposit. Hopefully, you can proceed without a deposit.

2. If the PPI reveals anything, get the owner to lower the price or fix the problems.

3. Confirmed from the mechanic that the fixes were done.

4. Bought a one-way plane ticket.

5. Salesman picked me up and we went to the dealership to finish the paperwork.

For you, step 5 will be different because of the private party sale. I have never done a private party buy, so others will have to help you out with that part. FWIW, I would make sure the owner will take a bank draft of some type and to do the deal at the bank.

make sure to get good pictures of the car. High detail, and many pictures of every aspect. Communicate with the seller, establish rapport...ask how maintained the car was, and how many service records are available. Were the parts that wear at a certain mileage changed? Just tips that will save you money once you have the car.

I bought my ZHP from a private party. There was no lien holder. Therefore, all we had to do is have him sign over the pink slip to me. I paid cash, so there was no lien holder on my end, either.

I bought the car with a cashier's check. I walked into my bank -- in Denver -- and had them issue me the cashier's check. My seller then walked into his bank with our cashier's check and verified funds.

After we exchanged money and the title documentation, we hung out at the owner's house for a little bit. It was a great visit. I had a chance to learn about the previous owner and I had a chance to learn about all of the love he poured into the ZHP. I knew I bought the car from an enthusiast who loved the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    I bought my ZHP from a private party. There was no lien holder. Therefore, all we had to do is have him sign over the pink slip to me. I paid cash, so there was no lien holder on my end, either.

I bought the car with a cashier's check. I walked into my bank -- in Denver -- and had them issue me the cashier's check. My seller then walked into his bank with our cashier's check and verified funds.

After we exchanged money and the title documentation, we hung out at the owner's house for a little bit. It was a great visit. I had a chance to learn about the previous owner and I had a chance to learn about all of the love he poured into the ZHP. I knew I bought the car from an enthusiast who loved the car.
    literally sounds exactly like what I did...the guy was a complete enthusiast and had nice cars that were taken care of (E34 M5, e30 M3, my ZHP, and a few older 3 Series) it had a ton of records, and I knew he took care of it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast