Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

60k mile service/Inspection II Inquiry + (window regulator bonus inquiry)

So, my car is sitting around 59,300 miles and I can't help but have Inspection II on my mind. That said, while completing the front brake kit install/bleeding with BCS_ZHP (which was an awesome time, and for which I give another big thank you!), he took a good look over the car and we both pretty much felt that it was in very good condition.

Bruce recommended a local shop where I should get the fluids changed at the very least. I called them and first asked for a quote on a full Inspection II: $550. Asked about replacing the spark plugs as well: +$220.

Now. After reading a lot of the Inspection DIY's posted here and elsewhere it seems a lot of it is very straightforward (e.g. replacing the filters) and the rest is just looking things over. I want to learn more of my car, I did not buy it just to drop it off and stand around lollygagging. That said.

My question is:

Pay more for the full professional overview/inspection II now VS. the bavauto youtube videos of what to look out for, tools to do my own work, less for the parts themselves, etc. and save the full overview for down the line when a second professional opinion on something I think is starting to wear down is necessary (75/90k).

Thoughts? Am I overthinking the mileage/timing of the inspection?

Bonus inquiry:

When I "roll" my driver's side window down, it clicks and moves a bit and is sometimes slow to come up, I'm assuming this is the regulator starting to go. How difficult is that replacement for a "first-timer" such as myself or is it worth having the shop do?

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Do the things you are most comfortable with doing then take it in for a "free safety inspection"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

Honestly if you are DIY person and want to learn more about your zhp, I would start reading up and learn as much as you can. Then proceed with the items that you are comfortable with doing and have the tools that are needed to get the job done.

Stuff like filters (intake, cabin,fuel) are easy to do. Spark plugs are not hard to replace as well as the valve cover. If you are not comfortable with fluid changes (oil,trans,diff) you can have a shop do them but they are not hard to do as well.

Stuff that falls into Inspection 2 is below. Some stuff is carried over from Inspection 1 as well. Majority of it is just looking over stuff to make sure there are no leaks,tears,rips, etc...

Undercarriage

Change engine oil and Oil Filter, check engine at is at normal operation temperature.
    Check transmission for leaks.
    Check rear axle for leaks.
    Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
    Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
    Check power steering system for leaks.
    Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads.
    Examine brake disc surfaces.
    Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
    Grease wheel center hubs.
    Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
    Check front control arm bushing for wear.
    Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
    Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
    Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
    Check condition of tires (outer surfaces (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.
    Check thickness of parking brake linings.
    Half-shafts; check for leaks at flexible boots.
    Inspect entire body according to terms of rust prevention limited warranty.

Engine Compartment

Read out diagnostic system with BMW scanners.
    Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
    Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
    Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
    Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
    Check air conditioner for operation.
    Reset Service Indicator.
    Replace spark plugs.
    Replace intake air cleaner element (Air Filter).

Body/Electrical Equipment

Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
    Perform batter load test.
    Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, foglights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
    Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
    Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
    Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
    Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
    Check condition and function of safety belts.
    Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
    Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
    Check central locking/double lock.
    Replace microfilter or Acc Cabin Filter.
    Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
    Check rear view mirrors
    Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.

Final Inspection

Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission

DIY it all and your window regulator is failing.

Samsung Galaxy S5...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Wow so inspection II doesnt include a full fluid flush (coolant, brake, PS, etc)? Surprised. ...or does "check" mean replace?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

^ Listen to the Boss

Not sure what's in Inspection 2 (and too lazy to look) but happy to help if it's just fluids, filters, plugs, etc. and sorry I missed the brake job tutorial. This (Easter) weekend isn't good but I'm sure we can find one.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Guess I wouldn't mind helping with the regulator either as I think Colin's is going out--slow sometimes.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

DIY with another enthusiast and just have a blast leaning the car. One of the harder fluid changes is the coolant because it gets everywhere, but I wouldn't call it hard. I'm still working on my inspection ii. I've done ~75% over the past few weeks and will finish up the fluids in the coming weeks so not everything needs to be done in one go.

Autozone.com
    Mine just broke 60K and I was about to ask the same questions I'm definetly going to try to do most of the stuff in my own. I'm pretty excited to actually get to know more indepth about the car!

2004 black on black 330ci ~Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast