Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Never thought of trying to clay it, I have to do this sometime. I've also heard the magic eraser works good on Alcantara I think.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

I will have to give that a try, I have the same stuff on my trim.
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Never thought of trying to clay it, I have to do this sometime. I've also heard the magic eraser works good on Alcantara I think.
    My friend has been using it on his alcantara interior of his S4 when he had it and it worked wonders.
    I personally have no idea what a Magic Eraser really is. I bought one but never opened the box.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

So....when you say "magic eraser on the alcantara"....you mean on the fuzzy stuff. Just want to make sure. How does that clean it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

From the Alcantara wheel cleaning DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    When I bought my car 18 months ago, it had a very oily, nasty looking thing on it that I steered the car with. Disgusting.

So I went at it with some tips I found on the net and decided I'll post a semi-competent DIY for restoring the ZHPs smexy Alcantara steering wheel. Sorry I did not take pictures while I did this, it was a while ago.

Materials:

- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (Original version only)
    - Damp bath towel(s)
    - Suede/Alcantara shoe cleaner (optional)
    - Lint Remover (optional)

Before:

1. Survey your steering wheel. Mine was very, very oily but the fabric itself was not deteriorating (on first glance it looked like it was). If your fabric is deteriorating, it may be best to not do this DIY.

2. With warm tap water, get your bath towel damp, and wring it out. Using almost no pressure; wipe the steering wheel. I preferred to go in a circle following the wheel. This should get the heaviest, grossest stuff off.

*3. Spray with Alcantara cleaner, let it foam, then use the included little plastic brush to rub the Alcantara in a circular fashion (again following the steering wheel). This will cause raised nubs of Alcanatara to form, so wipe very lightly, and pay attention to your fabric while you are in progress.

*4. Use the lint remover to buzz off and catch the little nubs you made with the Alcantara cleaner. You can also use a blade if you are very careful.

5. Use the Magic Eraser- dampened as per the directions, and again rub the steering wheel in a circular motion, with little to no pressure. Go back and forth on the areas near the buttons, trim, etc. When the wheel is dark grey and satisfactory looking, let it sit for 1-2 hours before driving it, wet Alcantara is very fragile.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    80 grit sandpaper perhaps? Lol.....

Do all Alcantara wheels look like this eventually? Cause that one Kayger posted above looks kinda gross (can't tell if there is an after picture or 2 before pictures).

I'd put a leatherskins on that in a jiffy.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Sorry-- should've posted up the afters

Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    After:

Still slightly damp:

~One year later

What it looked like when I sold it- hadn't been wiped down for ~20k miles.

I recommend doing just the wet rag every 10k or so miles, or when you see a slight oily base starting to form again.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Thanks for the after pics, for a little while there, I though I was going to puke in my mouth a little cause letta mea tella ya, those before pics are gross.

Do a Rosane Rosanadana on that one: "Its just like my father used to say, Rosane, you got a little piece of toilet paper stuck to your shoe".

Non?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Yes, Do NOT use magic eraser on parts that are supposed to be shiny. It will take the sheen off of them. I hit my upper door interior with it in one spot, and it is now "dull". BUT i did use it on steering wheel. See Alcantra steering wheel DIY for before and after pics. But Magic eraser is like a very high grit (well technically the grit is low, but high numbered... i would think it would come in at 600 grit or something) it is smooth to the touch, but will dull a sheen quickly.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast