Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 139 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1427

Thread: Wobz

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    It seems the stars have aligned for something I didn't really have planned for a while. A buddy of mine does upholstery work and offered to do my headliner for me. So, that is what we did on Sunday...

My headliner was in pretty bad shape. It started sagging maybe a year or two ago, but in a very minor way. Then, this summer, it took a turn for the worse and got really bad. My A, B, and C pillars were screwed a long time ago, so the material was ripped off those. The headliner was the last straw though; it's rather embarrassing to drive around with the windows down and have this thing flapping around in the wind.

We used suede (alcantara, same thing) as its cost wasn't much more than standard black material. I traded a pair of coupe LED tails for the labor, so everyone would up happy.

This is how it looked before:

No material left

The B pillars actually looked pretty good with no material on 'em...

The C's, not so much.

And the main attraction... I threw up a little looking at this pic.

Probably the only view I'll get with the headliner out until somehow I start ballin', can get a better daily and weekend car, and turn this into a track weapon. Maybe one decade.

And there it is. Installed, ready to go... almost.

One thing I wasn't expecting was that he didn't make the cutout for the airbag cover. He said he isn't able to cover the airbag strip, and also mentioned that the pillar stays in place just fine without the torx bolts. I'm not totally happy about this arrangement, but he mentioned that if I want to get the strips back in that he'll make a cutout for them and he'll "flock" the strips so there'll be a material that closely matches in color on there. I haven't decided how I feel about this yet...

B's and C's came out great as well!

Still to do: reinstall the moonroof shade. I couldn't reinstall it because I lost one of those springy clips on one side, so I have to order a replacement.
    Man this looks incredible, he does this professionally?

I’m from Long Island but I got in contact with an upholstery shop from the Bronx that has a good reputation and got quoted 580$ for basically everything. It’s a catch 22 since I have to remove/reinstall everything myself lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZHP_Brandon View Post
    Man this looks incredible, he does this professionally?

I’m from Long Island but I got in contact with an upholstery shop from the Bronx that has a good reputation and got quoted 580$ for basically everything. It’s a catch 22 since I have to remove/reinstall everything myself lol

He does work at an upholstery shop for his day job but he does a lot of custom car modding stuff on the side. His shop is in Norwalk, CT. Want me to ask him if he'll do your headliner and a quote?

He helped me disassemble and reassemble mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

He does work at an upholstery shop for his day job but he does a lot of custom car modding stuff on the side. His shop is in Norwalk, CT. Want me to ask him if he'll do your headliner and a quote?

He helped me disassemble and reassemble mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Yeah absolutely, I have family in Port Chester so if anything it would be a short trip back and forth. I don’t mind taking it all apart myself if it means I’ll save some money in the end

Yeah absolutely, I have family in Port Chester so if anything it would be a short trip back and forth. I don’t mind taking it all apart myself if it means I’ll save some money in the end

Alright, I'll ask him for a quote. Questions he asked me:
    Sedan? And you want the quote as if you're bringing him the headliner (he doesn't have to pull it)?
    What material, standard black material or suede? Do you want the pillars done as well? I assume you also want the moonroof shade?
    Was that $580 you were quoted the "I'll pull it and bring it to you" price or was that including them removing/reinstalling it?

Side note: Today is my ninth anniversary of purchasing my ZHP.
    Purchased August 26, 2010 with 75,963 miles
    Today, August 26, 2019: 324,533 miles
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Alright, I'll ask him for a quote. Questions he asked me:
    Sedan? And you want the quote as if you're bringing him the headliner (he doesn't have to pull it)?
    What material, standard black material or suede? Do you want the pillars done as well? I assume you also want the moonroof shade?
    Was that $580 you were quoted the "I'll pull it and bring it to you" price or was that including them removing/reinstalling it?

Side note: Today is my ninth anniversary of purchasing my ZHP.
    Purchased August 26, 2010 with 75,963 miles
    Today, August 26, 2019: 324,533 miles
    Yes sedan & yes I’ll remove everything my self
    Black Alcantara, & yes all the pillars as well & the sun visors were included in that price.

I was told the sun visors alone would fetch 100$/visor since there super intricate.

So he said Headliner+all pillars & sunroof shade I guess 375$
    + 200$ for the visors
    = 575$

He said if I remove it all he can potentially do it for less as long as I give him a heads up, I’m unsure sure why that means I can get a better price but I’m not questioning it lol

That’s absolutely incredible, I just told my brothers your mileage and my group chat is exploding lmao congratulations. I have 0 intentions of ever selling mine either. That mileage is insane. I need to make it out to a Mafia reunion to put some more (s)Miles on mine lol

So he said Headliner+all pillars & sunroof shade I guess 375$
    + 200$ for the visors
    = 575$
    That is really cheap labor (~$380). My buddy says they can't do it that cheap.
    He also has no idea how they're able to do the visors, since he said they're "vacuum" something-or-other... sealed? I dunno. Trying to remember what he told me when I asked him about it.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's been dead in here, but things are changing.

A few months ago, I broke down and bought a spare M54B30 from a friend of mine for dirt cheap. I wanted to rebuild my original ZHP motor instead of buying another motor because it would probably have been way cheaper to rebuild mine than to spend $1400-1500 on another B30 motor and rebuild that. While I will still rebuild the ZHP motor one day, I couldn't pass up on this really cheap motor with less than 100k miles that I purchased for $600. The motor itself ran fine when pulled, it just had some coolant mixing with oil, and it wasn't the head gasket. The theory was some kind of coolant pipe or something. Anyway, it's got less than 100k on it, and since money's tight, I didn't want to risk being without a car for several months while I bought parts "while you're in there".

I was going to take this year to start buying "while you're in there" parts, but my buddy's been bugging me to free up space in his garage where the engine currently sits, so I was forced to start disassembling it and starting to buy parts now instead of later. So much for paying off the bills.

The intent is to finally fix this ridiculous oil consumption problem once and for all by buying and installing a combination of M54 and M52tu piston rings. It peeves me to this day that BMW would have such a faulty piston ring design, especially since it was working fine in the previous generation motor. While I'm in there, I'll be replacing all the crap I don't want to have to take the motor apart for again, such as the head gasket, head bolts, timing case seal, and whatever else we can think of as we rip this thing apart. I made a list, which unfortunately is on paper, so I don't have it in front of me to put in this post, but will update later for input on what I need to buy.

I'm not going crazy here; I'll be keeping the pistons and valves, but still still be sending the head off to get checked and have whatever done to it that needs to be done by a machine shop. All seals that need replacing will be done, as well as items upgrading that I should get in preparation for a supercharger (goal being 300-350whp). I think ARP head studs was recommended as well as a cut ring head gasket set (whatever that is). I don't know jack about this stuff so will need a lot of research on the subject.

Considering I know nothing about engine disassembly/reassembly, so far I'm feeling good about what has been accomplished. I'm to the point where all accessories have been removed, valve cover, VANOS, cams/trays, and finally head bolts. The head still sits on the block as the next time I go there I will be removing the oil pan, crank, and pistons.

Image from last week before removing the cams. I'm not good on pictures; it's too much work taking oily gloves off, taking pictures, and then waiting 10 minutes for them and my hands to properly dry before putting them back on again. lol
    I've been leaving the valve cover just sitting on top to protect the internals while it sits waiting for work to be done.

At the end of all this, the motor will come out of the ZHP, cams swapped, and then the rebuilt motor put in to minimize downtime. Then the ZHP motor will be rebuilt the same way for the touring, and maybe, just maybe, a 6-speed will go in the touring (unless someone can figure out a way to get the 8-speed ZF to work!).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Double up on the gloves and remove them when you wanna take pics.

Looks good!

Nice Botond and good luck. That is a serious task you have my friend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by delvin View Post
    Double up on the gloves and remove them when you wanna take pics.

Looks good!
    Not a bad idea... I'll still forget though. lol
    "I just wanna get it done" always comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    Nice Botond and good luck. That is a serious task you have my friend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Thankfully I have supervision, so that's the only reason I'm even thinking about tackling this myself.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 139 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141 ... LastLast