Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

From ZHP to...Forester?

Hey guys, as some of you have seen, I replaced my ZHP with something that was more versatile for my needs, having a child now and spending the majority of my time in my vehicle to and from daycare and picking up stuff for the house. The ZHP was a wonderful car, but I needed to back to my bread and butter.

As my name would suggest, I'm a subaru guy at heart. I've owned 7 now. 2 WRX's, 2 STI's, 2 legacy's and now a Forester.

This is my thread...bear with the flow of some of the posts as I'm creating this thread retroactively from the work performed.

Backstory: Was riding the interwaves looking for an 04-08 Forester XT with a stick. Not easy to find for the right price and right condition. I checked cars.com one last time on a Saturday evening before dinner and saw a newly listed 2004 Forester XT 5MT, Silver, 1 owner, 120k miles in Little Rock that popped up that day and happened to be about 4500 below what every other forester of similar age/mileage/condition was listed at.

Sweet. Called them up, just got it on trade that day, needed inspection. Told them to let me know what turns up. They called back Monday morning indicating it was likely going to be wholesaled. Needed body work and there was a check engine light that concerned them. I told them to wholesale to me. They agreed, I got another 2 grand off.

Booked a flight that night, picked it up the next morning and drove back to Kansas City.

It was a great deal.

Got better. Was able to get the phone number of the past owner. At ~104k miles, the engine needed rebuilt due to turbo failure introducing metal into the oil. Owner opted to drop the car off with Cobb Tuning of Plano for a full rebuild including forged pistons.

!!!!!

let the fun begin.

As it stands right now, pretty much any/everything that needed to be refreshed to look like new has been.

Mod list is as follows:

Engine:
    Cobb Tuning rebuilt block with 100mm CP pistons
    VF48
    09 STI TMIC
    10 STI Uppipe
    Invidia Catless Downpipe
    STI Catback
    Cobb V3 AP
    Perrin Inlet
    ID 1000 CC injectors, Rail, Lines
    DW200 fuel pump
    Tune

Drivetrain:
    Group N Pitch Mount
    Group N Motor Mounts
    Group N Transmission Mounts
    Kartboy Crossmember Bushings
    TiC 5MT Narrow Pivot Bushings

Interior:
    13 WRX Shift Knob
    05 STI Wheel
    05 WRX Airbag
    05 WRX Heated Seats
    Weathertech Digitalfit liners

Shift knob replaced with '13 WRX

Missing armrest replaced with junkyard takeoff

Broken rear cupholder replaced with junkyard takeoff

Failed clearcoat on exterior c-pillar trim replaced with junkyard takeoff

Cleaning up 2009 STI Intercooler

Old and busted vs. New. Went with 05 which were just slightly different in color and design

Busted Rear wiper needed replaced

Front end almost done, needs a few clips that broke to continue

Rear bumper completed and installed

STI Steering wheel

Stay tuned...

STI vs. Stock Axleback

STI vs. Stock Midpipe

TD04 vs. VF48

VF48 vs. TD04 hotside

Stock Catted uppipe vs. STI Catless

2005 WRX Heated Seats

Progress: She's nearly done mechanically. VF48, STI TMIC, Invidia V2 catless DP, ID1000cc injectors, DW200 fp, VERY mild tune of only 16.5 psi (stock clutch won't take much more). Made 265hp, 320 ft lbs...has probably 350/400 in it if when I get a new clutch.

VF48 I bought was a shoddy rebuild so I had to get a new CHRA for it due to oil leaking out the hot side and smoking pretty bad. The SD tune from MKC needs a few kinks worked out so it will go back to them sometime soon then it's onto making the rest of the car look presentable.

Crap CHRA:

New CHRA:

Been fighting a stumble in the powerband for the last couple weeks, about to tear my hair out over it it's been pissing me off so bad.

Finally narrowed it down to a dampening problem. Ordered two dampers and adapter setup to connect to the input side of each fuel rail to get rid of the stumble.

This is the same issue that plagues most GRs. Surprised the forester got bit by the problem...but I guess that's what happens with giant *** injectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSyut7D1A_c

Congrats on the pick-up.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Dampening is fixed!

Sounds different, idles different, revs different.

drives SO much better. No stumbling at all through the RPM range now. Fuel corrections are a little wonky now though as the original tune was performed on the car with erratic fuel pressure so MKC had to adjust and try and compensate for it. Now that it's got rock solid fuel it'll need to be re-tweaked. Pulls considerably stronger too. Bet it would put down an extra 10-20 whp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJEuVPcGjT0

Here's the damper setup that resolved the issue:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel Pump > 06 STI inlet damper > 2 ft of Injector Dynamics braided inlet line > Amazon Damper setup right on the inlet side of the rail > Amazon Damper setup right on the inlet side of the other rail > FPR > OEM Damper on return line.

Tinted the car and added OEM spoiler.

Detail is complete. Not too shabby for a decade old car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast