Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Protective film removal?

Hey,

So, the front end has the protective film applied. Not sure how long ago it was put on the car but the condition is poor, it has done its job i guess...

it's starting to crack and peel, also not a big fan of the now noticeable line.

Has anyone removed this sort of film before? seems to be a lot of work and mess.

May look even worse after removal?..should i just leave it as is....

M0nk3y (Kyle) will know. Shoot him a PM with a link to this thread.

Samsung Galaxy S5...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    M0nk3y (Kyle) will know. Shoot him a PM with a link to this thread.

Samsung Galaxy S5...
    +2. Exactly my thought.

-Brettski

I have 7-year-old film on the nose of my Z4M, installed just after I bought the car new. I recently went back to the installer, intending to have it removed, and the car detailed at the same time. He told me the film is in decent condition at this point (amazing here in the desert after that long) and doesn't need to come off.

Another shop who is the main guys doing film in Phoenix had previously quoted me $100 minimum for removal, and up from there depending on how many hours involved to remove. Apparently if it's pretty fargone, it can be a brutal, time-consuming job to get it all off.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by al.330imola View Post
    Hey,

So, the front end has the protective film applied. Not sure how long ago it was put on the car but the condition is poor, it has done its job i guess...

it's starting to crack and peel, also not a big fan of the now noticeable line.

Has anyone removed this sort of film before? seems to be a lot of work and mess.

May look even worse after removal?..should i just leave it as is....
    PM sent

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    I have 7-year-old film on the nose of my Z4M, installed just after I bought the car new. I recently went back to the installer, intending to have it removed, and the car detailed at the same time. He told me the film is in decent condition at this point (amazing here in the desert after that long) and doesn't need to come off.

Another shop who is the main guys doing film in Phoenix had previously quoted me $100 minimum for removal, and up from there depending on how many hours involved to remove. Apparently if it's pretty fargone, it can be a brutal, time-consuming job to get it all off.
    Heat gun and plastic razor blade is all you really need. Apply heat very lightly, basically enough to loosen the adhesive.

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckel View Post
    Heat gun and plastic razor blade is all you really need. Apply heat very lightly, basically enough to loosen the adhesive.

Sent from in the bushes

Exactly. Take your time, don't dig in to the paint, take many breaks so you don't get frustrated. I've heard the film on BMWs is reasonably high quality and comes off rather easily.
    - Evan - Karting Thread - YouTube -

You shouldn't need a plastic blade at all.

Allow the car to sit in the sun all day. It will heat the paint and allow an pretty easy removal.

Use a heat gun (hair dryer works surprisingly well too) and heat the film up a bit where you want to start removal. Slowly pull the film and keep on heating the upcoming space where you want to remove the film. If the film starts to overstretch and it is not pulling off easy because of the stretching...back off on the heat.

You'll most likely encounter glue built up on the very edges of the film. It is pretty hard to have the glue lift with the film here, so you'll probably have to remove that manually later. However, as you're pulling the film and you start encountering glue in the middle of the film, STOP. The film probably isn't hot enough, you're pulling too fast....etc. Slow the process down and take your time. If you remove it correctly, you should have no glue left over besides the edges of the film.

With the glue on the edges, removal can be done with clay bar...or something similar. We've used foam glass cleaner and it removes it fairly well. If you encounter issues here, we've used little acetone and it pulls the glue right off very easy. We used that as a last resort though.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

My words of caution are that is easiest to remove in larger pieces. Going to fast causes it to tear and can be a pain. Take your time and pull gently I'm large areas.
    On the hunt for the cleanest lowest mileage ZHP sedan!

Is there any fear of the paint becoming unpainted?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast