Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    Is there any fear of the paint becoming unpainted?
    Ryan, please explain how paint becomes unpainted. Does it just disappear into thin air?

Samsung Galaxy S5...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Ryan, please explain how paint becomes unpainted. Does it just disappear into thin air?

Samsung Galaxy S5...
    Well it's sorta like painting, but just the opposite!

Fine fine... 'peel off' would probably have been a better choice of words...

Lol. Just miss messing with you.

Samsung Galaxy S5...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Lol. Just miss messing with you.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

Thanks for all the input fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    You shouldn't need a plastic blade at all.

Allow the car to sit in the sun all day. It will heat the paint and allow an pretty easy removal.

Use a heat gun (hair dryer works surprisingly well too) and heat the film up a bit where you want to start removal. Slowly pull the film and keep on heating the upcoming space where you want to remove the film. If the film starts to overstretch and it is not pulling off easy because of the stretching...back off on the heat.

You'll most likely encounter glue built up on the very edges of the film. It is pretty hard to have the glue lift with the film here, so you'll probably have to remove that manually later. However, as you're pulling the film and you start encountering glue in the middle of the film, STOP. The film probably isn't hot enough, you're pulling too fast....etc. Slow the process down and take your time. If you remove it correctly, you should have no glue left over besides the edges of the film.

With the glue on the edges, removal can be done with clay bar...or something similar. We've used foam glass cleaner and it removes it fairly well. If you encounter issues here, we've used little acetone and it pulls the glue right off very easy. We used that as a last resort though.
    Thank you for the very detailed process.

ryankokesh
    Is there any fear of the paint becoming unpainted?
    This is one of the concerns, that it will look worse after removal, residue, damaged/faded paint...

I think you'll find that the paint underneath the film will be more vibrant than the rest of the car actually!

Sent from my oversized iPhone | HTC One
    - Evan - Karting Thread - YouTube -

Quote Originally Posted by E_Rak View Post
    I think you'll find that the paint underneath the film will be more vibrant than the rest of the car actually!

In theory it should, as it was "protected". If that adhesive comes off smoothly with no residue layer...

Remove the residue with a paint safe adhesive remover, clay bat, quick polish. It will be just fine, I've done it before.

- Evan - Karting Thread - YouTube -

Quote Originally Posted by E_Rak View Post
    Remove the residue with a paint safe adhesive remover, clay bat, quick polish. It will be just fine, I've done it before.

WD-40 also works and is harmless to paint. Only use it if the adhesive is thick, follow up with soap and water

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckel View Post
    WD-40 also works and is harmless to paint.
    I heard of this as well....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast