Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Interesting indeed … like NorCal, I’ll probably just keep getting the “BMW High Performance” 5W-30, regardless of who makes it, so long as it stays ~$7/qt!

Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post
    But what is to become of the Motorsport colors, since the red is Castrol red, and the cobalt blue is the mixture of Bavarian blue and Castrol Red?!
    I thought the red was Texaco?

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    Interesting indeed … like NorCal, I’ll probably just keep getting the “BMW High Performance” 5W-30, regardless of who makes it, so long as it stays ~$7/qt!

I thought the red was Texaco?
    Interesting question. I had never heard that it was possibly Texaco until you mentioned it here. What I find interesting is that I have never seen any early BMW race cars with any Texaco livery, or any mention of that anywhere in my reading of BMW history over the years. That said, there are BMW race cars that have Castrol sponsorship on them, and some of us even have "Castrol" on the oil caps on our M54 engines. They also make many of the BMW factory oils. With that said, would BMW have partnered with an American fuel company like this years ago? Any of our other historians have some input to clarify this for us? Searching the internet is giving mixed opinions and even less clarity, as usual.

Sent from my pineapple under the sea.

-Brettski

Actually a bit of Castrol history from their website dovetails with the early days at Bavarian Motor Works. Nonetheless, still curious if anyone else has more info on the motorsport stripe color red.

"Castrol was founded by Charles “Cheers” Wakefield under the name of ‘CC Wakefield & Company’. In 1899, when he was 39, Charles left a job at Vacuum Oil to start a new business at Cheapside in London, selling lubricants for trains and heavy machinery. He was a persuasive man who could articulate a vision, clearly, and eight former colleagues followed him into the new company. Early in the new century, Wakefield took a personal interest in two sporty new motorised contraptions – the automobile and the aeroplane. The company started developing lubricants especially for these new engines, which needed oils that were runny enough to work from cold at start-up and thick enough to keep working at very high temperatures. Wakefield researchers found that adding a measure of castor oil, a vegetable oil made from castor beans, did the trick nicely. They called the new product “Castrol.”" - Castrol history from their own website.

-Brettski

This is the blog entry that I keep coming across when I look up the M colors:

BMW Blog: BMW ///M Logo Colors Explained

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Works for me, have always liked Pennzoil oils, all the way back when I ran it in my 1973 VW Super Bug. Although difficult to find reasonably priced, I use Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W40 here in Florida in our recent buy of an 2006 330ci convertible and our 1998 Volvo S90 we've had 17 years. Have viewed very good UOAs on Bobistheoilguy forum for this oil. Hmm, may use the new BMW oil in my Volvo as the Ultra 5W40 is being discontinued by Pennzoil.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    so are you saying if I go and ask for a quart of oil at the BMW dealership after the new year I will keep getting the old stuff?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I only ever use BMW oil.

I use Mobil 1. No impact here.
    -Jeff | '19 JGC WK2

Sold: '03 ZHP

"There is a straight six engine at the front, a manual gear box in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That's page one, chapter one from the petrolsexual handbook." - Jeremy Clarkson

I was already running Shell oil

New Official BMW Oil

So, here it is, guys, the NEW OE BMW oil:

BMW TwinPower Turbo 5W-30 (P/N 83.21-2 365 946) – $7.88/qt at ECS

For reference, the previous OE oil:

BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 (P/N 07.51-0 017 866) – $7.99/qt at ECS

So . . . do we know anything about this new oil?

Autozone.com
    I just bought some from BMW of Fairfax, I guess we'll see how it goes. Can't imagine it would be too different for us. I think it was just engineered to mesh with forced induction engines.
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast