Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    BMW approved oil or forget it.

I have a hard time believing that a local guy, even an extremely competent guy has even a fraction of the engineering experience, test equipment, data analysis, etc, etc as the BMW factory guys in Germany to make a decision that goes against what we already know.
    The BMW documentation doesn't recommend a specific weight, it's a chart.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

I never said it did.

There's a list of approved oils. There's a reason those oils made the list and others didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    No the higher the number the thicker. They are all rated at a specific starting temp because they all thin out as they heat up. In multi weight oil the second number is its thickness at 100 C. You want an oil to be thin at startup so the oil pump can generate sufficient pressure to properly lubricate. But it's all relative to the starting temp.
    I wrote thinner not thicker

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter which oil you use, as long as you use the proper weight for your climate and driving conditions, the engines will look and operate identically at 200-300k miles.

There is absolutely NOTHING you have to worry about regarding them switching to this oil, Wes.

The BMW LL-01 spec only exists so you know which oil is approved for BMWs extended oil service schedule. If you change your oil more frequently than that, following the LL-01 spec is unnecessary.

Disagree. There have been reports of lifter tick, sludge buildup, etc when using non-approved oils.

My car used OEM oil only up to 69.5k miles. When I popped the valve cover off, there was buildup everywhere. It was bad. VANOS was caked, too. They also followed the BMW OCI that was set by the same guys that engineered the oil.

Lifter tick happens when tracking all the time, so I don't think it's that big a deal, either.
    In the market for an E90 M3

If your indie is using Mobil1 and changing it every 5k you are fine. If you're gonna run the 15k miles or whatever LL-01 is then no, get an approved oil

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    My car used OEM oil only up to 69.5k miles. When I popped the valve cover off, there was buildup everywhere. It was bad. VANOS was caked, too. They also followed the BMW OCI that was set by the same guys that engineered the oil.

Lifter tick happens when tracking all the time, so I don't think it's that big a deal, either.
    I'm pretty sure mine has been using the BMW oil as well....and I just bought some from the dealer! I'll lookout for this buildup when I get in there to do the plugs.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

indie shop put Mobil 10W-30 in my car. thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    Disagree. There have been reports of lifter tick, sludge buildup, etc when using non-approved oils.
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post

Dario's is a perfect example of the oil not being the culprit. There is an approved oil being used, yet still has sludge buildup. That sludge buildup may or may not be the cause of mileage driven on the oil, or other maintenance habits that attributed to this. Who knows what the history of the car was before he got it.

So, sludge, lifter tick, and whatever engine problems could easily be attributed to a number of other factors other than the type of engine oil used. Granted, you definitely have to make sure it's synthetic oil as that's what our engines are designed for, but other than these very few reports of miscellaneous oddities there are countless of cases of folks who don't use LL-01 approved oils that are just fine. Just ask anyone who uses a non-approved oil and has an engine that is fine *raises hand*. The ratio of folks that are fine greatly outweighs those who have problems when we talk about using non-approved oils. If this was a concern then this would be as widely known as failing window regulators or burnt ZKW bowls.

In the case of something like lifter tick - well, you've got to think about how the car is used. Does it get autocrossed? BMWs are notorious for lifter tick after an autox event. Did that owner perhaps run the engine without oil for a little too long? That's been known to happen as well.

In the end, your engine isn't going to magically give you all sorts of problems by switching to a different weight oil. The weight should be matched to the environment it's running in so as to get optimal protection, regardless of what BMW recommends.

Just as a side example, Mobil1 0W-40 is a LL-01 oil. Mobil1 is a very reputable brand that's been proven to produce oils that protect engines. So going to a 10W-30 from the same brand isn't reliable anymore just because it's not approved? That doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    See below.

Dario's is a perfect example of the oil not being the culprit. There is an approved oil being used, yet still has sludge buildup. That sludge buildup may or may not be the cause of mileage driven on the oil, or other maintenance habits that attributed to this. Who knows what the history of the car was before he got it.

So, sludge, lifter tick, and whatever engine problems could easily be attributed to a number of other factors other than the type of engine oil used. Granted, you definitely have to make sure it's synthetic oil as that's what our engines are designed for, but other than these very few reports of miscellaneous oddities there are countless of cases of folks who don't use LL-01 approved oils that are just fine. Just ask anyone who uses a non-approved oil and has an engine that is fine *raises hand*. The ratio of folks that are fine greatly outweighs those who have problems when we talk about using non-approved oils. If this was a concern then this would be as widely known as failing window regulators or burnt ZKW bowls.

In the case of something like lifter tick - well, you've got to think about how the car is used. Does it get autocrossed? BMWs are notorious for lifter tick after an autox event. Did that owner perhaps run the engine without oil for a little too long? That's been known to happen as well.

In the end, your engine isn't going to magically give you all sorts of problems by switching to a different weight oil. The weight should be matched to the environment it's running in so as to get optimal protection, regardless of what BMW recommends.

Just as a side example, Mobil1 0W-40 is a LL-01 oil. Mobil1 is a very reputable brand that's been proven to produce oils that protect engines. So going to a 10W-30 from the same brand isn't reliable anymore just because it's not approved? That doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow! Well said buddy! Just say +1 isn't enough, I gotta go +10

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Here's the cart from the Technical Service Manual

2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast