Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Wrong coolant?

Wrong coolant?

So I took my (new to me - 50k miles) car to the dealership this week for a 50 point inspection and I'm questioning their findings.

They said the brake fluid and power steering fluid were dirty and needed replacement. The brake fluid is more than two years old so that makes sense. Power steering fluid is possible, but don't know how long that should last. A fuel injection service was also recommended.

They also said the LCAB was shot and had to be replaced ($820) and they said I had the wrong coolant in there and should replace it.

I haven't dealt with this dealership before but I'm a little suspicious. The car was certified last fall (which should mean the LCAB was fine) and also inspected by a highly recommended indie shop who said the car was in great shape. Now, 2000 miles later and the LCAB is shot?

I guess my real suspicion comes from the remark about the coolant. It was replaced at 32k miles by a BMW dealer using a legitimate coolant (83-51-9415-964). So was it wrong? I just feel like they've piled on a lot of maintenance because they don't know any of the history and it's a standard set of recommendations.

two words: second opinion.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

If the coolant is blue, you are good. You can fix all of that stuff yourself. And you should.
    In the market for an E90 M3

The 50-point BMW dealer inspection is kinda useless. Their standard checklist is brakes, tires, fluids, visual alignment check, etc... nothing substantial unless for example your window shows definite signs of imminent window regulator failure. I get one every year just in case I've missed something, but generally you'll need an actual PPI to get a proper look at the car. For means of comparison, even though this means nothing, I think a PPI is 250-point.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-High View Post
    So I took my (new to me - 50k miles) car to the dealership this week for a 50 point inspection and I'm questioning their findings.

They said the brake fluid and power steering fluid were dirty and needed replacement. The brake fluid is more than two years old so that makes sense. Power steering fluid is possible, but don't know how long that should last. A fuel injection service was also recommended.

They also said the LCAB was shot and had to be replaced ($820) and they said I had the wrong coolant in there and should replace it.

I haven't dealt with this dealership before but I'm a little suspicious. The car was certified last fall (which should mean the LCAB was fine) and also inspected by a highly recommended indie shop who said the car was in great shape. Now, 2000 miles later and the LCAB is shot?

I guess my real suspicion comes from the remark about the coolant. It was replaced at 32k miles by a BMW dealer using a legitimate coolant (83-51-9415-964). So was it wrong? I just feel like they've piled on a lot of maintenance because they don't know any of the history and it's a standard set of recommendations.

Wow.

Coolant is most likely fine. Blue is good. If you are really worried about the car take it to a reputable BMW indy who has good reviews. Read or ask around.

FCAB's are $155 at ECS and I guarantee you can find them cheaper elsewhere. If you are really concerned, jack the car up and just look at the bushing. It's super easy to spot and you can tell if its bad or not just by looking at it.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Roll slowly forward and stab the brake. If you feel/hear a pop coming from the front end the fcabs are shot. If they are OEM/OE fcabs they can fail quickly.

Very evident at the 1:00 mark of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Pw3V8pMeI
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Wow! First of all, thanks for making me feel welcome. I only have grade 9 auto shop but I thought the laundry list was a bit crazy. Unfortunately living in a condo means I can't work on squat without getting in trouble (not to mention I don't have room for any tools other than a ratchet set and screwdrivers, etc). I'm hoping to make some contacts over time so I can at least watch what other people do on their cars!

I couldn't look at the rad fluid as the car was still hot but I'll check it out tomorrow. The brake fluid is actually pretty good (just turning a little bit orange) but I'm going to replace it anyway. I know it's a function of time, not distance.

I don't have ANY clunking sounds from the front so I think the bushings are good. I'm going to get the second opinion tomorrow.

Thanks all, I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    FCAB's are $155 at ECS and I guarantee you can find them cheaper elsewhere. If you are really concerned, jack the car up and just look at the bushing. It's super easy to spot and you can tell if its bad or not just by looking at it.
    Is that each? I don't know how much labour time is factored in but let's say they're charging $350 each including an hour labour, Canadian exchange and dealer margin. Still pretty steep. I'm liking what I've read about Z4M replacement.

My indy charges $350 for a FCAB job all in. I'm in the process of installing Z4M ones in my car... Can't wait to see how they are.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    two words: second opinion.
    Totally...
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k