Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    I spoke with a couple of folks during the meetup about some guidelines for taking our cars to the track/autocrosses, but I was wondering if we could get a sticky going with an overview similar to the the "words of wisdom - for the new guy" thread in the Maintenance section.

I'd love to take Scarlett to an Autox or a track day, but as she sits now at mechanically 100% stock I'm wondering how it all works as and what changes to consider.

Some initial questions are:

What are some necessary items to bring with you? Check on the car beforehand? Check after the day is over?

Are the M135 wheels and all-season Bridgestone RFT's good enough for a first timer, or am I looking into a whole set of dedicated event wheels/tires (e.g. lighter, squared 17's, etc)?

I've always heard driver mod is the best way to improve, should I just stop worrying and nit picking about the car; do the basic check overs and then show up and go for it?

Which would be the best/easiest event to aim to start with, a track day or an autox? Why?

How is the insurance handled between the two? (I'm assuming an autox is less risky because...parking lot/traffic cones vs. tire walls/other fast cars all around you.)

What is the best avenue to find out about/register for upcoming events? (e.g. BMWCCA, SCCA, etc)?
    Check on your car before hand:
    Loose components in engine bay
    Lug Nuts
    Shake your wheels to check for any sign of play on the wheel for wheel bearing issues

Items to bring:
    Extra Oil, Power Steering Fluid
    Water/Fluids
    Sunscreen (you will get roasted if you don't)
    Rain gear (you will get wet if you don't)
    Hat/Sunglasses
    Chalk (I'll explain)
    Ziplock bags to store loose items from your car
    Air pressure gauge
    Torque Wrench

Typically, as a beginner please run what you currently have. It may be frustrating that your tires may not be the ideal ones, but it will be a valuable learning tool. Throwing on sticker tires will hide your errors and make you slower. I've seen it too many times.

Focus on the nut behind the wheel, you. Learn the lines, push the car. You do not know the limits of the car (and how to correct it) until you exceed. IMO, try and push the car into a spin. Once you do that, you'll know what it feels like and can play with that limit.

IMO - Starting autox is alot easier to do (don't need to worry as much as brake pad life/rotor, tires..etc). In addition, spinning in the middle of a parking lot is much different than a track.

However, the experience is completely different on a track. You cannot compare the two.

When I did my first track day, it was soaking wet. The car was very loose, and there was corrections needed about every turn getting onto power. The instructor said I have probably one of the fastest hands he's seen in a while...and IMO it was contributed to autox...catching skids when you pushed that limit.

Check with your insurance provider, but I know I'm actually covered under HPDEs because it is classified as driver education, and not timed.

Your local chapters should have websites to register for events. Go onto SCCA main page and it can locate your region.

Very basic, but let me know if you need more info

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Super helpful, thanks. Looking forward to my first auto x

Sent from Tapatalk on my Nokia 1020
    ---------------
    2004 330i ZHP OB NB 6MT
    2011 335i Auto
    1995 325i Convertible

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    If you have the opportunity to ride with an instructor , do it. You can learn a lot from them. I was glad I had an instructor my first time.
    Thanks to all for the great feedback! I just registered Scarlett and I for the upcoming Autocross School!

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthrea...-2-in-Bowie-MD

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123