Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post

Lifted it up so I could put the ARC-8s back on before dropping it off to the body shop.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Hit this like a month ago. Finally got the car up to check. Looks nasty : Now I know I gotta replace that brace when the car comes back.

Dropped off the car yesterday as well :cry:

Nice! Keep us posted.

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors

Ending up actually starting the work myself cause no one replied to me here. But now I'm lazy over the weekend so I decided to update my progress thread instead.

Ok so I got my car back. Sadly, it's not done : I had an issue with the CF trunk that I bought from Streamline. Fitment was not as described and going back and forth with the seller for months so that delayed the process :thumbdwn: Since I needed to keep test fitting/take pictures of the trunk on the car and stuff. And I could only do this every 2-3 weeks because I'm out of state when I work. Trunk issue still not resolved, so I'll be keeping my current trunk for the mean time.

Anyways, I had to take it back because I needed to smog the car. I have been away for work since I dropped off the car so I haven't had time. So I had Wayne put on my trunk, didn't matter about fitment, I just needed it to be fit to drive. Got the car back like 8/14. Then I left for work, then right after went to Vietnam to take care of something.

Came back 8/28.

Got the car smogged. So I figured since I have the car back, I'm going to take care of a few things that I have been meaning to do before I give it back to the shop.

9/3 (Labor Day) update.

JR and I did some work. Originally I was supposed to a bunch of things to my car, but I got lazy because I knew that I have to order some parts later and will be lifting the car back up.

Done on my car:
    - Replaced springs from 650R/550F Hyperco to 560R (10k)/448F (8k) Swift springs. I had them forever, but was lazy :
    - Changed caster on Vorshlag camber plates back to the OE position in the center to accommodate the caster change from the Z4M FCABs. This in turn now increased the amount of positive camber I can have now. The shaft of the strut was hitting the sides and limited me to a minimum of only -2.4 deg.

On his car:
    - Diagnosed the clunk that he's been hearing on his front suspension. Turned out it was a bad end link. The same one we tightened last time. Took both end links off. He will be ordering new adjustable ones.
    - Replaced his front corner bulbs with stealth bulbs to get rid of the egg yolk.
    - Upgraded his old fluted fog housings to the newer clear glass ones.

Then ordered parts I needed and took advantage of the "sale" FCP euro had. Not really much of a sale, but the couple of things I wanted were so might as well.

9/12 update.

I got my parts. Was super excited to see them and get them out of the way :excited:

Then as I was going through them to make sure everything is there. They didn't give me the transmission mount. Ok no problem, I can do that later. Then I check the FCABs…hmm they look the same. :hmm: Maybe it's not side specific? Check pictures on FCP. God dammit, I have 2 of the same sides :

Called them up to get this sorted out. In the mean time, I will install all the other pieces I got first.

9/13 update.

I attempted to work on the car. I didn't get much done. I wasted 3 hours, getting the car up, taking pictures, and browsing the forums :lmao: Then spent like 40 mins hammering out my underbody brace. I contemplated on cleaning it, but got lazy. Then I decided to finally check to see where my oil leak was coming from. Yep, CCV. Inspected other parts of the car…motor mounts totally need replacing. All the bushings I'm about to replace are shot too.

I looked at the tires, I knew that there were really bad. But yeah, it's bad. I need to find some spares for now for sure just to get the car to EAS to get tires.

They look like that on all 4 corners lol

Oh I finally found that strut mount nut that I dropped like a year ago. Now I don't have to buy a new one sweet.

Took some pictures of the underbody of the car.

You see all that damage to the brace and exhaust? I have no idea :wtf: it was. Seriously looks like guts and teeth :

Here is the end result after I hammered the brace. Looks a lot better. I was too lazy to clean, so I will revisit this later. It can't go on until FCP euro gives me that other FCAB anyways.

Then I had to clean up because dinner plans. I was able to get started on the control arms. On the passenger side, it's like 90% off. I just need to use the pickle fork and sledge to separate inner balljoint. The driver's side is like 70% done. Need to pickle fork both the balljoints.

Yesterday.

Didn't get much done. I spent some time cleaning the oil pan while I was sitting under there thinking of what I was going to try to do.

Then attempted to take off the control arm on the driver's side. Basically gave up on that for now lol The angle that I need to be for the pickle fork to do it's thing in is made for like right-handers. I'm left handed :

So I'm like **** this, go to the other side since it'll probably be easier for left-handers. Well…what do you know? Comes off easy as hell. I didn't even use PB Blaster at all on that side. :woot:

I'm upgrading the control arms to ZHP control arms.

Then I attempted to put in the one correct FCAB I have. Hammered it like 90% of the way, then had to clean up and leave for the day.

So close, yet so far…

Don't know if I'm continuing the work today. But i'm definitely taking tomorrow off because football.

9/17 update.

My buddy Pat came by to give me a hand for a bit. Got the driver's side control arm off, quick and easy. :

Then we attempted to continue hammering the Z4M FCAB that I had installed 90% of the way. That **** was not moving :angry: I hit it so hard with my mallet that I broke the mallet :ben:

After like 30 mins, we were like :censor: this, do something else. Went to do the tie rods. Everything went smoothly and easily. I didn't measure the tie rods like you were supposed to though. Just eyeballed it lol

Then went back to the FCAB. Decided to just take the new control arm off to see if we can just bang it outside of the car. It seems like it's even harder to do off the car and without a rubber mallet.

So that's it for the day. I'm going to buy a new mallet tomorrow and start over. I'm hoping that my other FCAB from FCP euro comes tomorrow that way I can get them both installed. Then I can finally put the car down.

9/18 update.

FCP euro, where the :censor: is my FCAB and transmission mount? Been like a week since I told them and it's still not here. Still have no tracking. They told me they sent an email with tracking, didn't get that. First time using them, not having a positive experience so far...

Anyhow, JR came by for a bit. We worked on changing out his corner bulbs because one side is dead already. That took like 30 mins or so.

Then we tried to put in the FCAB I had on. Didn't work. The wood just took way too much power out each hit. Then decided to go to Home Depot and buy a new rubber mallet. Bought the heaviest and most expensive one they had.

Came back and even with banging the **** out of it, didn't do anything. Seriously?! :ben: How the hell is it this hard? I know that when I was doing it before, it went it in not too bad. So I decided that I’m going to take it off and start over. Couldn't take it out by hammering. So went to AutoZone, returned the pickle forks and rented a 3-jaw puller.

Bushing came off easy. Then lubed it up with some quick detailer and bang the **** out of it. Went in way easier this time. So my original hypothesis was correct in that since the lubrication dried, that's why it was so hard to move. Good to know. Next time, finish the FCAB install in one sitting :

Dam you POS bushing :

Looks good though now that it's in.

JR then had to leave before he hit traffic on the way back home. Meanwhile I was sitting there deciding whether or not I should go in. Decided to do the steering coupler. It was way easier to do on the lift. Literally like a 5 minute job.

Old vs. New:

And that was it. No parts meant I couldn't do the other side. I could have taken off my exhaust to prepare for the transmission mount. But I didn't want to commit to doing it yet :

The only thing I did today was post that rant in the other thread about all the crap I had to deal with. Here's to hoping the part arrives sometime this week. Also, even though it lists the correct part # (like it did the first time). It damn well better be the correct part this time.

No love for the help from your buddy John?

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    No love for the help from your buddy John?

Well I refer to you as JR off the forum, which is already in the post lol It's cause I know too many John/Jons that own BMWs. I already designated Jko as ZHP Jon. So I always referred to you as JR (spelled out) for your initials lol There's a masturbating Jon and a Rich John too

Lol. All of my beach tennis friends call me JR so that works. I'll be ready for the next steps.

Finally done with all that crap. I just got an email from FCP euro for the refund on shipping. I didn't even bother to ask for the refund tbh because it was only $10. It doesn't really satisfy me.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot
    9/22 update.

OMG, the part arrived from FCP euro faster than I thought it would. :yikes: I immediately checked to make sure it was the correct side that I needed. Cool perfect :, the transmission mount was also there. Finally, I can finish up the car.

Since my car has been sitting on the lift for like over a week, there was quite a build up of air in the system. So when I went out, I wasn't able to lift the car up to the highest setting. Well I could, but I wasn't comfortable with doing so. It was on the first setting, so I just did everything there. I decided that I would forgo the transmission mounts for now because that requires taking off the exhaust. It would be easier on the highest setting. So I'll do it next time.

Putting the FCAB on was quick. Took like 2 mins tops. For the most part, the remaining bits that needed to go on didn't take long. Probably like an hour total to put on the control arm, under body brace, and the splash shield. :craig:

Last shot before I put the splash shield on.

It actually only took me longer because my tires were so bad, I went ahead and put on a couple spares I had. I moved the ARC-8 rears to the fronts which surprisingly had better life than the fronts for some reason. :hmm: Then an M68 in the rear and an X5 spare wheel on the other side.

Today's update.

I spent some time to do some maintenance on my lift. Cleaned it a little. And bled it to get all the air out. Now it's back to full working condition. Good as new. :

Last picture for the day. I raised the fronts up like 1 full turn. Don't think it made a difference.

I was originally set to buy new tires as well. But that timeline got pushed back due to this parts incident. I did contact EAS to see if they could get me anything today (I have to drop off my car on tomorrow). But if not, I'll just take it to Wayne's as is, and the tires can go on when I get the car back.

So with all these done, the car is ready for tires, then alignment. Technically, I need to do the RTABs (which I have sitting in a box somewhere). But I'm bundling that with my rear reinforcement at a later date.

Man those rear wheels look so freakishly small from the angle those photos were taken! lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast