Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Wait, so you mean the pull-out thingy should not be rubbing against the actual latch? Hmm...

Lots of good work you are doing here...and thanks for sharing the pics.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Wait, so you mean the pull-out thingy should not be rubbing against the actual latch? Hmm...

Lots of good work you are doing here...and thanks for sharing the pics.
    It rubs on it in normal operation. But when it's new, it's more slick so the latch doesn't tend to catch and it's not as hard to pull the latch up.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    mini update:

So I came back from Denver on Weds. The next day, it was sunny so I was able to work on the car. I got the hoses from Mishimoto last Friday I believe. Inspected the coolant hoses and they have all the o-rings on them. Then I re-applied my electrical tape mod :

As you can see, it looks better in all black instead of with the logos lol

Put everything in. And did the initial coolant fill until it came out of the bleed screw.

Then I went to start it up, and car didn't start Well it has been sitting outside for weeks with me being unable to start it lol I checked the voltage and it was like 7v :yikes: Well, then I spent the next couple hours pushing the car out from the backyard into position so that I could get it charged by one of the other cars.

It's alive :excited:

It barely had any gas in it, so I figured I'd drive and get some gas. I still didn't put the air box in with the intake hoses yet, and it still had the stock F-connector. So I was driving around with a huge vacuum leak, and the car felt extremely bogged down from heat soak.

But man the shifter :D Shifts were short and very precise. I love it. I couldn't really try pushing the car a little to play around with the shifter, but it felt really good. Just from that 5 minute drive roundtrip, made me think that it was totally worth waiting two years for it lol. I gotta let Ronald know, once I drive it some more.

Basically that was all the time I had left. It already started to drizzle a little bit. So I just parked the car back into position so that it'll be ready when I come back and it's not raining to do the oil change/fuel filter.

Took a picture of one of the wheels to show how the painted black calipers came out. Looks pretty good.

When I got back inside, I started inspecting the intake hoses that I received. Everything looked good except for the lower boot. The cuts were definitely better this time around. But the lip that goes into the the groove in the throttle body looks like it's melted or some ****. Since it was late, I just fired off an email to them. I don't expect them to reply back for awhile since it's the holidays though.

This was the only good picture I could get showing the defective part.

So last time, they made me pay $10 shipping to get these hoses. They waived $5 as a courtesy for me. Then they waived another $15 prior to that since their policy is to charge per item (so $30 - $15 - 5 = $10). I was still :ben: that I had to pay still even though they didn't get it out on time like they told me they were. Nothing I could do about it.

But I better not have to pay this time to get replacements for the replacements.

Probably won't be another update until the end of next week or something. It's been raining the rest of the week so I couldn't do the oil and fuel filter. Then I leave on Monday for Seattle. Hopefully the car starts when I get back :

Finally, it's up and running

So I got back Friday morning. And on Saturday I set out to do work. It was still wet from raining earlier in the morning; but having just come back from Seattle/Vancouver, the weather was too nice to not to go ahead and get something done before it starts raining again like on Monday. My goal was to get it in running condition. So that meant I was going to do the oil change, and work on fitting the intake despite Mishimoto having sent me some more defective ones. I decided to delay the fuel filter because my battery is simply not charge enough. I wouldn't be able to pull the fuse and do a few starts LOL

I don't remember why I took this picture. Probably to show how it was damp? Beats me, but here's a picture

Then started the usual oil change. The oil was dark as hell lol But at least it was still liquid, unlike the rubber/sludge that I saw in a gif on Reddit the other day :

I also need to straighten out that subframe brace too, but I'll do that another day.

While the car was up, I checked out my scrape plates. They were getting pretty messed up lol It's actually starting to fall off, but I'm going to remake the plates again later so whatever.

Here's some shots to show which part clearly has the most wear

Done with the easy part :

The next part was the intake. So I took everything apart again, including the DISA. I then fitted the defective lower intake boot on the TB to see how it fits. As I suspected. The fit and the angle of the boot was way better due to the better cuts. But, it doesn't sit in the TB groove and doesn't make a complete seal because of the melted section making it wider than the groove.

So since I had sort of a template for the lower intake hose, I started cutting the one that I had to make it fit like the defective one did. I already did the initial cutting on the TB opening side that I had marked a couple updates ago. Those measurements were spot on. For the ICV part, I had to cut an additional 1/8" off the 1/2" I had already taken off : That pretty much gave me the angle that I needed, I could not get the lower hose to turn anymore at that point.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of that part. Actually, I don't have pictures of the whole cutting/fitting/measuring part at all lol

The upper hose they gave me was pretty much exactly the same as what I currently have. At this point, it's all trial & error as I go along.

Brian N. came by to give me a much needed hand. So we started by fitting and eyeballing the cuts :

Here's an a couple of old pictures I took before to show you what we basically started with with the upper hose fitted

So we started cutting the end that goes to the metal connector they have. Our main focus was to get the hose to turn more towards the driver's side (away from the engine) until we could get the opening of the MAF side somewhat parallel to the airbox. We did quite a few cuts, some of them we considered was very aggressive. But even then they weren't enough :wtf: :banghead: The position was pretty much set by the hoses connected to the F-connector. Since I didn't have any hoses to extend that portion, it's more or less near the stock location now. So it's not hitting the DISA like what others have done.

We got it to turn as much as we could and cutting a lot off. I couldn't cut it anymore because then the connector wouldn't fit. After all that cutting, the MAF side still wasn't parallel to the airbox yet : Now the intake hose is more to the left, but it's also angled down like an 1" :hmm: From the test fit it looked like I could force it up that inch to get it to the level that I needed, so our next focus was to cut the MAF side of the intake hose.

So the first cut was to cut it to make it parallel to the airbox. Then we cut it so that the MAF angle would be facing down because when you pull up on the intake hose, it's now facing straight up into the air instead of straight into the airbox. That took a few tries to get it right. We got it super close, so all that was left was to force it in the rest of the way. Finally, got that sucker in :censor:

I reused my factory F-connector. It seemed to fit perfectly with a perfect seal so far. There's no leak that I could see. But I have a couple of the aluminum F-connectors if it needs changing. Makes for an even more factory look which is what I like.

Here's what my filter looked like :lmao: I don't remember when the last time I changed it was

And here is the fruit of our labor :D

That seriously took a ridiculous long amount of time. Like 4 hour total to make this thing fit. Hence the night picture.

This is how much I had to cut off :thumbdwn:

That was literally 1/3 of the hose that we had to cut off just for the upper intake hose alone :tsk: :thumbdwn:

There's even more pieces I cut off before that, but I threw those away before I realized I should have taken a picture.

With that finally installed. I put the strut bar back in. Of course, during the re-install, i drop one of the nuts :banghead: It is forever lost now. But I have plenty of spares, so that was an easy fix.

Some closer shots of our work during the day with the Mason bar installed.

Engine looks good, and car runs now. No leaks as far as I can tell.

Car feels good to drive now. Only thing that sucks right now is that my ZHP shift knob is loose from when I broke it way back when trying to fit it with the Rogue SSK. So it vibrates like crazy and I feel like I could pull it off any time accidentally during a shift lol

Took a picture of the car, just cause it looked good just sitting there lol

At least from that angle anyways. My bumper paint is really getting unsightly now

It will get taken care of in the future for sure.

Special thanks to Brian N. for coming over and helping me with the intake hose retrofit :bow: :bow:

I don't think I could ever recommend someone to get this. If it were just a little bit a cutting, then sure. But this is too much. I injured myself a few times in the process cutting myself with a really sharp razor. If I weren't wearing gloves, it would be worst LOL Their customer service have been ok at best. When emailing them, it takes at least 2 days to get a reply. Calling them is the best way. But if the CS person you need to talk to isn't there and they ask to take your name to call back. They won't. I've never received that return call.

I'm awaiting their resolution for the defective ones they sent. But it's the weekend, so probably won't receive a reply until Tues. I'll probably call on Monday and see.

So I have only a couple of items left to do now:
    • Fuel filter
    • Windshield Cowl

That would finally complete this round of preventative maintenance.

Meanwhile, I added a couple more things to my overall list of things to do/replace like a new shift knob. I probably won't get around to the fuel filter and stuff until next week. I'm letting my dad borrow the car while I work on his new car the entire week. I just hope that it comes back in one piece next week :

Good to hear. Nice work going on there.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Good to hear. Nice work going on there.
    Thanks. BTW, I still have your rear sway I think. Do you still want it?

Oh yes, thanks. Forgot about that.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Still didn't do those 2 remaining things. It keeps raining over the weekend. I did buy new PIAA Si-Tech wipers for the rain. They work well. I think the "treatment" that they make you apply does most of the work though. I still get some streaks, but it's because the wiper goes across my banner and that's when you see the streaks as the wiper comes down. When it goes up, ti's perfect. I gotta replace that banner too, but I'm way too lazy lol

As for the Autosolutions SSK mini-review? Man this thing is awesome : The shifts now are super precise. It always returns to center and doesn't have any slop or play in it. My throw ratio is a little shorter than 30%. I forgot what exactly. But the first week, I kept jamming my hand into the knob because I was expect it to go farther than it should. Then the rest of the time, I wasn't sure if I was actually in 5th or 6th LOL But now that I have gotten used to it, it's nice. I kind of miss playing around when the shifter is in gear now. Before I would have a ton of play in gear and even more so in neutral. Now, all of that is pretty much gone. It's also not as notchy as the RE given the shorter the ratio either. My shifter effort actually got a little easier because now I also have a weighted selector rod. The RE just used the stock one. I totally recommend getting one. It was totally worth waiting the 2 years for him to make it for me lol Thanks Ronald :bow:

As for my other NEGATIVE update :cry: So yesterday night omw to the movies, I was driving along the slowly just going in the slow lane. Then I see this SUV trying to get over in my lane. I let him pass cause I'm not in a rush, and he cuts across from the lane next to me onto the exit which he barely made. Basically my focus was just on him passing so I don't hit him. Then WHAM and then I hear metal just scraping along the ground. WTF?! I didn't even see what I hit, I kept driving and clear the metal dragging sound kept going so I pulled over. So basically I hit something so hard that it took off my scrape plate. I just took it off and threw it in the passenger side. When I pulled into the parking garage, I checked it out

The plate looks find for the most part

Whatever I hit left some brownish debris. Brian thinks it's some piece of wood : But I'm surprised at Wayne's mold work though. It's pretty much fine all in the front where he molded it. The only damage is isolated to the part I hit.

I don't plan to fix this until I do my rear fenders now. At this point, I'll probably just buy a whole new bumper and splitters and start over since it's already been injured too many times lol I'm just going to put the plate back on and that should be good. I'm also contemplating on whether I should clear bra the front bumper after. Because I seems that I keep getting the front destroyed lately (basically once a year for the last 3 years), it would be cheaper to just redo it each time then have the clear bra lol Wayne is going to be pissed when I make his do this again :

As for the LSD and stuff. I'm still waiting on an M3forum member to make the reinforcement plates. Once I get that, I'll start planning to get the whole rear reinforcement and LSD swap done at once.
    I'm reinstalling my plate right now. Too lazy to take off the previous tape so I'm just taping over it lol hopefully it holds.

Just read through this instead of the massive thread on e46f. Love everything that you're doing here. The square fitment of the 9.5's is my favorite aspect. Do you need the 5mm spacers in front for strut clearance or is that for flushness?

And how's the bumper doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Just read through this instead of the massive thread on e46f. Love everything that you're doing here. The square fitment of the 9.5's is my favorite aspect. Do you need the 5mm spacers in front for strut clearance or is that for flushness?

And how's the bumper doing now?
    Thanks. Yeah this thread only has stuff from when I finished the fenders I think. While my original thread goes through everything from the beginning lol

Yeah the 5mm was just for strut clearance. Specifically the adjusters on the coilovers. My bumper, it's getting more messed up by the day lol Now that I damaged it, I don't really care too much so I just scrape and hit things. Since it's been damaged so many times, I'm planning on buying a new bumper & splitters and do it all over again. My bumper kept cracking from being fixed too many times anyways.

Yep, not going to replace all those photobucket links. It took forever on my original thread lol So continuing on....

Hello guys. How has it been going? I've been fairly busy with the new job and everything. So I'm pretty much out of town all the time now. I'm about to head out to another project as well. Felt like I haven't done **** to my car in forever. But I just realized it's only been a year :

Anyhow, I finally have another worthy update. This one has been a long time in the making :excited: But all the pieces have finally come together. So I guess this is the mod for this year.

Brian, pointed me out to an M3forum member that was parting out his car like iono 6 months ago. Hit him up for the rear fenders. He said it would take awhile to finish parting before he can give me whatevers left. Fast forward to today, he was nice enough to even deliver the car to me (well to Wayne). :

The car is actually in really good shape, other than that front part. There's a lot more parts on the car than I expected there to be. I saw that he left the window trims, so I'll probably install that on my car in the mean time. Delay getting the gloss black trim for a little while longer lol

I'll be dropping my car off on Thursday. I probably won't see my car finished until like the end of the year : I'm still keeping my MT2 for the rear. Which I haven't seen anyone done, so we'll see how Wayne does this. He's already trying to convince me to go M3 rear :tsk: But yeah, there you go. Now I gotta go :bump: Brian N.'s build thread

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast