Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    https://www.facebook.com/events/7486..._mall_activity

Here is the link to the facebook group, not sure if you can view it.

We will be hosting a small group of drivers October 28 at Thunderhill Raceway. This is a private event for all drivers with price set at $275 and we can provide driver instructors if needed.

Please contact Info@PerformanceTechnic.com or call Joe at 925-426-1361 x104 to reserve your spot.

This event is being co-hosted by Vishal Shah and sponsored by his company, Turn Inc.. We are working out exact details on what the sponsorship will entail, stay tuned for more information.

Yes I can see the link. Would love to go to "get my mojo back" but most likely I need to be at work.

My next track day, and first since my crash, is this Saturday with the Porsche Owners Club at Buttonwillow. I'll be taking the ZHP and the plan is this will be the last track event for it, and after that I'll switch to the E36.

According to the reg list, there will be 1 BMW (me), 1 Corvette, 1 Audi S7, 1 Honda Prelude, and 100 Porsches of various kinds.

Enjoy John! Be sure to take pics and videos

Did you ever upload that video during the crash?

I'm still shy about that video! Though I did show it to the other driver and got his feedback on safer passing. Yesterday after getting alignment on ZHP, found out my mechanic recently parked next to friend of the other driver in the paddock at a NCRC track day down at Buttonwillow. And they discussed my little crash... Also found the other driver in the red E36 has a S54 swap, which explain some of the speed differential.

You can set it to private and send it to me

I'm interested from a learning perspective. Never done a real HSDE before and looking to do my first in 2015.

I fully understand if you don't ever want to post it though!

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

I'm curious as well

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Let me start by saying car-to-car contact in HPDE is extremely rare. I've done more than 25 events and never seen it before outside of a race group. I've been at events with spins, offs, cars smacking walls, two rollovers (not at the same event), and a guy that went off in front of me in the rain and tapped a corner station. But never did I see two cars come together until I did it.

I'll send Derbo the link and let him share his observations on what I should have done differently. Here are my biggest mistakes:
    • IGave point-by too early, before apex.
    • Went off-line before the apex -- bad idea! Should stay online and make faster driver find his/her way around you.
    • Might have lifted off the throttle on turn exit, unweighting rear tires
    • Didn't counter steer quickly enough. Maybe fast enough if the other guy hadn't been there, but he was passing when I started sliding
    • Might have lifted even more once the slide started, making it worse.
    • Other guy should have waited until I was straight before passing, though of course he had no way of knowing I was going to lose it

I'm okay at counter steering when the back end comes around, but I probably lift off the gas at the same time, which is the right thing with throttle-on oversteer but absolutely wrong answer with throttle-off or neutral throttle oversteer. Without data acquisition or a camera watching my feet, can't be sure.

Other potential contributing factors:
    • Newly paved track was more slippery off-line than normal.
    • First session of day on square R-comp tires instead of staggered summer
    • Other driver was much faster--better driver, lighter car, S54 motor. So passed me sooner and faster.
    • Other driver should have been in faster group. He is fast enough to run in SpeedVentures Green or Red. Not clear why he was in Black with me.
    • Conti slick takeoffs had at least 11 heat cycles with me, plus whatever the race team did. Some say they become unpredictable after enough heat cycles.
    • Possible my rear had toe-out that day. It did after accident, but can't be sure if that might have been caused by the accident itself.
    • I was trying to impress Derbo! Not really, but I was trying to show him my best laps, though not that time in that corner
    • Short of sleep; might have slowed my reaction times.

So like many track accidents, it was a combination of things. Any one of those along would not have lead to contact, but in combination it led to an expensive lesson. Luckily I had the HPDE insurance that weekend.

Staying on street tires, using staggered setup, passing only in straights, and staying on-line all the time all reduce the risk of an incident. But as you get better at track days, you typically want to go beyond with stickier tires, flexible passing, and learning to drive off-line. In fact if you take race licensing school or drive in the rain, they spend a lot of time practicing driving off-line.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Thanks for the write up.

Why do you drive off line in rain?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast