Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    cough

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1778

Plan to run HPDE-1 but its a maybe.. IDK if I want to revive my car in time, get an alignment and maybe some better tires ugh..

180 for a track day at sears point/sonoma

That's pretty good. I think you get a lot more runs in with track masters, though.

Can you just join NASA online to do that, or is there something else that must be done?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Not sure, with NASA you get I think 4 - 20min sessions, thats plenty for me.

theres also NCRC with I think 5 -20 minute sessions also for $180. Kind of pricey like NASA but still pretty good!

I never driven with NASA before. Do I need to start at HPDE1 and move up?

I think I found my answer. I want to be Group 4.

Group 3:
    This is for the more experienced track driver. You must have had at least a
    weekend of Group 1/2 and be qualified to be on your own (without an instructor).
    You MUST list your experience on the entry form / online entry form under
    “Please describe your previous driving experience: events and schools attended,
    licenses, etc.” Leaving this blank or otherwise having inadequate experience will
    be cause for “adjustments.”

Group 4:
    This is the most advanced group and passing is allowed everywhere. This group
    is best suited for VERY experienced drivers, such as those that have had at least
    three weekends or prior experience on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    Not sure, with NASA you get I think 4 - 20min sessions, thats plenty for me.

theres also NCRC with I think 5 -20 minute sessions also for $180. Kind of pricey like NASA but still pretty good!
    $180 is the cheapest I've seen for Sonoma.

Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    $180 is the cheapest I've seen for Sonoma.
    Hmm, I guess it is cheapest for Sonoma.. I can't decide if I should sign up now or what.. I'd love to try it, and then do T-hill a few times this year as well.

My car is out of commission, starter motor (PITA to replace) is all messed up and keeps spinning while my car is on.. I would need some new tires (Hankook RS3 to replace the all seasons), and then maybe a new battery. For sure need a better/new alignment. Too much toe and negative camber in the rear..

Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    Hmm, I guess it is cheapest for Sonoma.. I can't decide if I should sign up now or what.. I'd love to try it, and then do T-hill a few times this year as well.

My car is out of commission, starter motor (PITA to replace) is all messed up and keeps spinning while my car is on.. I would need some new tires (Hankook RS3 to replace the all seasons), and then maybe a new battery. For sure need a better/new alignment. Too much toe and negative camber in the rear..

My cousin is planning to so 9/27 Sears with NASA. I am debating if I want to sign up for NASA membership /($45/year) and then pay the $180 for the day. I would most likely go to HDPE3 and attempt to move to HDPE4 if I feel like I can.

Derbo, what's your experience with track days? I'm curious what it takes to get up to level 4.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    Derbo, what's your experience with track days? I'm curious what it takes to get up to level 4.
    E-racing since 1999, HDPEs for 4 years now. I moved to the "Advanced" Group probably 2 years ago. Advanced is basically just open-pass-anywhere type of HDPE session. It's not a full-race environment but it's as close as you will get without getting competitive with the guys on the track.

I would say I have about 20+ trackdays. One thing is that, everyone progresses at a different pace. I jumped to "Intermediate" 2nd track day cause I felt comfortable to move up. Others may take 2-3 days or even more to move up.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I've driven NASA 1 at Sonoma and HPDE 1, 2, and 3 at Buttonwillow (also HPDE 1 at AutoClub Speedway and Willow Springs). I don't think anyone legitimately in HPDE4 gets there with just 3 track weekends! Maybe the 1 in 1000 wunderkind could do it well, but I think even the very talented need at least 10 track days (or 5 weekends) to get to HPDE4.

Being not so talented myself, I have more than 20 track days and don't feel comfortable going to HPDE4, but last time I did NASA, HPDE3 was good for me. Also I'm fine with point-by passing anywhere on track but not with open passing (no point-bys). Derbo is faster than me so HPDE4 may be fine for him. NASA sometimes mixes HPDE4 with the time trial group, and the TT guys not only tend to be fast, they WANT to go fast, to win free tires or brake pads or accumulate season points.

Officially you need to get signed off by NASA to get from HPDE 1 to 2 (easy) then from 2 to 3 (might be hard, never happened for me), but often you can just register for HPDE3 and tell the group leader you have enough experience. If they think you can't handle it, they'll bump you back down to HPDE 2. One day I just signed up for HPDE3. You don't have to be really fast (I'm not) as long as you are aware of who's around you and generous with point-bys when faster drivers come along.

Once I saw a driver who was too fast for HPDE2 (or at least too fast for the HPDE1 beginners who run with 2) but not ready for HPDE3 and he ended up being a very frustrated guy that day.

Hey Derbo, still going to Buttonwillow this weekend?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast