Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTH! Cut tire......

Was out for a drive enjoying the nice weather last night when all of a sudden I started hearing a loud clicking noise. Pulled over as soon as I could and found this in the left rear.........

I didn't see any air loss yet so I left the piece of metal in the tire and headed for home. Luckily I was only about 5 miles away. Stopped at a gas station on the way to check and see if it needed any air but the gauge showed no air loss. Jacked it up a ways at home and pulled the shrapnel and that's when I realized it was a utility knife blade. Amazing how it cut such a wide gash like that! If you look close you can see it even cut some of the cords in the tire.

Sucks being without the ZHP on this holiday weekend!

Now I have to decide what to do......the tires are Hankook V12s. The rears have less than 10,000 on them but the fronts have close to 30,000. Debating whether to just replace one or both rears or just doing all 4 even though they all have a good bit of thread left.

Then the next question is to go with a set of the newer Hankook V12 Evo2 or Michelin PSS. If I do end up changing all 4 I'll probably go with the PSS.

Barry

Oh Shit!
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

I'd do 4 with the PSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
    - Jeremy Clarkson

[B] '04 TiAg Coupe Auto----->6MT swap||Angel Eyes||COBY WHEEL||Carbon diffuser, splitters||Hamann fog covers

That sucks, at least it held air until you got home.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotnick1203 View Post
    I'd do 4 with the PSS
    tough to cough up $1k+ just because you ran over a utility blade tho...

Maico, i was in the same boat as my V12 rears are shot, but my fronts still have half their life left. decided to just get new V12 Evo2 rears.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    Oh Shit!
    No shit! Then to add insult to injury you can see I also ran over fresh tar somewhere and splattered some of that on the left rear bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotnick1203 View Post
    I'd do 4 with the PSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably will go that route. I just hope they are nice and quite. The Hankooks are so much quieter than the Potenza RE040's that were on it when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    That sucks, at least it held air until you got home.
    Ya, if I knew it was going to hold air I would have pulled the blade out right away and maybe done less damage.

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    tough to cough up $1k+ just because you ran over a utility blade tho...

Maico, i was in the same boat as my V12 rears are shot, but my fronts still have half their life left. decided to just get new V12 Evo2 rears.
    Yup, sucks to have to get new tires just because of one bad one but I might have done it anyway by this fall or so. Plus, the way you read of people raving about the PSS just makes me tempted to get a set just to feel the grip. Definitely will have to make a trip to the Black Hills soon to test them out.

Barry

I ended up ordering a set of PSS's from Sams Club and got an e mail and phone call Friday telling me the 2 tires I ordered were in. I called them to see what was up and they told me only 2 had shown up so far........of course, it was the 2 fronts.

So now I'm waiting on the rears and in the meantime I put my car up on stands and pulled the wheels off so I can just take them in and let someone mount them. Haven't decided if I will let Sams do it or the local Goodyear. I know the guys at GY and they said it's no problem having them mount them even though I bought from somewhere else. I checked out the machines at Sams though and they have the latest machines from Hunter plus the guy said they use plastic coated tools when mounting tires on aluminum wheels. I'll probably go with whoever can get them done soonest.

I was also planning to install the steering guibo I bought a while back but mine still looks to be in perfect condition. Anyone think I should change it anyway? Looks pretty easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    I was also planning to install the steering guibo I bought a while back but mine still looks to be in perfect condition. Anyone think I should change it anyway? Looks pretty easy to do.

That's about how mine looked when I changed it out last weekend. It's a pretty simply job if the car's already up and you let pb blaster sit on it for a few mins. It made a small difference for me, so I guess it was worth it. May as well if you have it already

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    That's about how mine looked when I changed it out last weekend. It's a pretty simply job if the car's already up and you let pb blaster sit on it for a few mins. It made a small difference for me, so I guess it was worth it. May as well if you have it already
    Thanks Ryan.....I'll probably go ahead and install it. It's not like I have to worry about ever wearing the new one out. It'll probably outlive me!

The rear tires showed up today so I had them mounted and have been cleaning up the hubs and removing some tar from the wheelwells. Tough to resist the urge to just mount them up right now and take them out for a "test drive"!

Barry

good lord
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast