Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ZHP I may be purchasing tomorrow

The guys over at E46 Fanatics seem to think this car is too "rough" for $11k. Thoughts? 91,500 miles, 2 owners. The interior is definitely in need of some dye on the front seats and its needs new headlight covers along with a VCG. I am going to have my BMW Master Tech inspect/drive it tomorrow and go from there. I think with the TLC I am going to put into it, $11k isn't a bad price pending it checks out mechanically.

It needs some dings and dents taken out also but the tires and brakes are good and it does not have a VANOS rattle and seems to run great. An apprentice at my shop threw it up in the air and said aside from the VCG, the car looked great. No leaks from shocks or struts, no oil on tailpipes, rear main seal looked good and dry, no funny noises when I drove it. The only thing I notice is when I put the clutch pedal to the floor and lift is about 1/2" whether it's in gear or neutral, there is a noticeable vibration. No sound coming from it so not sure if its a TO bearing or not.

It's had the following repaired:
    -DISA
    -Brakes
    -NGK plugs
    -Front lower rear CA bushings
    -Tires
    -scheduled oil changes
    -No VANOS rattle
    -other small things I am forgetting

It did also throw a "27C3 DME code Thermal Oil Level too low code. 112 times". What does this mean for me? The car was in for a recent oil change and the inspection showed that it also may need a new battery soon. Back about 2 years ago, the car wouldn't start and ended up needing a fuel pump.

That doesn't look like the right steering wheel. It's too narrow. You can see the trims don't match on the bottom.

Rear bumper alignment looks off on rear right. That gap is too big.

Other than that... every car is gonna have interior wear after 10 years. Get the price as low as you can and get it (if condition is actually what it is presumed to be).
    In the market for an E90 M3

I personally think you can do either much better with 11k or much lower for the rough condition of that car. The interior looks beat, but can be fixed, but not worth 11k IMO.

Gonna have to agree with the fanatics on this one. From what I see, it looks a bit under maintained. The things you listed that the current owner completed are minor maintenance items. Inspection II? Cooling system? Battery voltage levels? Headlight lenses appear yellowed (hopefully they are not ZKW's), interior is roughed up.

Maybe it's just me, but I take a walk around the car taking close-up pictures of all imperfections. It really helps as I have such a bad memory! Check the carfax, paint thickness (if you have a tool), run codes, check for BMW glass all-around (my bro's car had the side window replaced some time ago and it never show up in any records!). I assume you've already done the comprehensive PPI (your friend) and a good test drive (through all the rpms, test windows [GM5], sunroof, wipers, radio, speakers, climate control, ac, temp control, gauge functions, tire pressures, oil, filters, check for engine noises, pulleys, rust, spare tire compartment (for spare tire, tools, water, rust), check for bucking in all gears, check the door/window seals (it's an Oregon/PNW car - you don't want to have to deal with leaking seals!), road noise levels, etc...

11k for a 91k mile car is average to slightly above average condition-wise. I think this car should fetch perhaps something closer to 9k. Good luck with the negotiations if everything checks out!

EDIT: this one is near me

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4476724689.html
    - only imperfection I notice is the missing left fog light cover...

and is much better condition, a little bit more miles and pricier but it can be negotiated... Sedan, 4 door, has all the packages as well (expect PDC but just get a rear camera and it's infinitely better), ONE owner, appears very well maintained, and it's parked in a nice FLAT neighborhood perhaps even garaged (less stress on suspension, brakes, transmission). The one you're interested in probably regularly parked on that steep hill - bad for everything really, probably the reason why the e-brake is yanked so high (worn) that it hits the arm rest.
    Last edited by BavarianZHP; 05-26-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    Fuelly

I have to agree, it looks real rough, the wheel is a sport package wheel (pointed out on fanatics). You can do so much better take a pass on this one.

I wouldn't pay more than $8500 for that.

You can do much better.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

If I was selling my ZHP it would at least be clean inside! If the seller is too lazy to do a little work keeping it clean while trying to sell it is a Red Flag!

I agree $8500 is the max I would pay for it.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    That doesn't look like the right steering wheel. It's too narrow. You can see the trims don't match on the bottom.
    My guess is it's just that the alcantara is COMPLETELY worn off, judging by the rest of the interior's condition.

Other than that... every car is gonna have interior wear after 10 years. Get the price as low as you can and get it (if condition is actually what it is presumed to be).
    My car's interior is insulted by that suggestion. This pic is 2 years old, but it looks identical today...

The subject car here looks really thrashed. I agree with the $8500 figure - and that might be generous.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    My guess is it's just that the alcantara is COMPLETELY worn off, judging by the rest of the interior's condition.

My car's interior is insulted by that suggestion. This pic is 2 years old, but it looks identical today...

The subject car here looks really thrashed. I agree with the $8500 figure - and that might be generous.
    Haha, well your interior is fantastic, but that level of care is atypical.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    In the market for an E90 M3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast