Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

First Mod: Headers or Shark Injector?

So I am finally to the point of mods for my car (after almost $4700 in maintenance over the last 21 months!). First mod is either headers or shark injector. Sooner or later I will get both, but for now can only do one. Only "mod" the car has now is a 3.46 diff.

If it was your car, which one?

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

I'm considering the same mods. I feeling headers. How do you like the 3.46 diff?
    -Dimitri; 19

98 Dakar Yellow M3
    Recaro - Ground Control - Macht Schnell - AP - Mashaw - UUC - Schroth - Apex - TMS

Headers, exhaust, intake then a Eurocharged tune.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Headers, exhaust, intake then a Eurocharged tune.

Surprised to hear you say Eurocharged when you have Conforti. Any particular reason?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Dimitri View Post
    I'm considering the same mods. I feeling headers. How do you like the 3.46 diff?
    3.46 makes the car what it should be from BMW. It is slightly slower in the 0-60 category because you have to shift to third to make it, but both second and third gears are a monster and the overall 1/4 mile times are better by .3 seconds. And passing on the highway no longer requires downshifting to 5th.

Check out my BMW Blog

They can tune it to your mods. It's a better tune. I only have AFE intake and no exhaust moss so Shark packaged tune made sense to me at time and I didn't even know about them either.

I will be going Eurocharged tune when I do my headers and exhaust.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    They can tune it to your mods. It's a better tune. I only have AFE intake and no exhaust moss so Shark packaged tune made sense to me at time and I didn't even know about them either.

I will be going Eurocharged tune when I do my headers and exhaust.

I liked the shark I had on my 323 with an intake. Felt nice on that little engine.

I guess I just like the DIY nature of the shark vs having to send off my DME. And I have never seen any head to head dyno pulls with a normal software on a modded car (headers, intake etc) vs one that has the software "tuned" for the mods. I mean, it can't add THAT much more power, can it?

Also, I doubt I will ever do exhaust. Too much money and would be way too loud with headers.

Check out my BMW Blog

Smolck's,
    Think of it in 3 parts - breathing, drinking, & exhausting. You need to do all 3 to maximize your performance increase. But as Dane said, try not to do one (Shark) that you might have to change or modify after the others. The intake & exhaust changes are pure mechanical, do those first as you see fit and to your desires. Then afterwards you should be able to feel if its lacking in low end torque and/or high end speed, and at that point any of the custom tuners should be able to give you what you want.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    I liked the shark I had on my 323 with an intake. Felt nice on that little engine.

I guess I just like the DIY nature of the shark vs having to send off my DME. And I have never seen any head to head dyno pulls with a normal software on a modded car (headers, intake etc) vs one that has the software "tuned" for the mods. I mean, it can't add THAT much more power, can it?

Also, I doubt I will ever do exhaust. Too much money and would be way too loud with headers.
    Ok. Sounds good.

X2 Eurocharged.

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.
    In the market for an E90 M3

I was in the same boat as you. I was able to find a set of BimmerBrake headers for fairly cheap, so I pulled the trigger. I probably won't have the time to install them for a bit, but I'm still happy with the stock exhaust, so no problems there at them moment.

I went with the 3.38 over the 3.46, but we'd have a similar setup, so I'd be interested in hearing your input on the setup if you go the header route.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast