Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Might it be the brakes? I have a rattling metallic noise over sharp bumps but if I put light pressure on the brake pedal it's dead silent. I will be inspecting the issue this weekend. Good luck

Noted! I will check the brakes as well. Thanks!

BMW has a bulletin for this, does it happen at low speeds, especially when going over bumps or turning?
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

SOUNDS to me your control arms are going out. Lift the car up and see if the wheels have any play. They shouldn't wiggle.
    Last edited by Smilez; 06-06-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpro View Post
    BMW has a bulletin for this, does it happen at low speeds, especially when going over bumps or turning?
    What does the TSB say?

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez View Post
    SOUNDS to me your control arms are going out. Lift the car up and see if the wheels have any play. They shouldn't wiggle.
    I do have side to side wiggle. And while sitting in N at idle I can feel some play in the steering wheel. Steering guibo is brand new. Steering rack worn?

Quote Originally Posted by will731 View Post
    I do have side to side wiggle. And while sitting in N at idle I can feel some play in the steering wheel. Steering guibo is brand new. Steering rack worn?
    Your ball joints are probably warn out on your control arms. Possibly ebbed your control arm bushings. Have it verified at a Firestone. If indeed they are out, but some meyle hd replacement.

I'm an Audi tech so I do all the work myself. I just replaced the control arm bushings with bmw parts. The Meyle hd's were worn out. Didnt remove the entire ca though, PO said they were replaced. I did find that one side is meyle the other seems like its genuine so Maybe the genuine one is the original. I may just bite the bullet and get both control arms.

After the ca bushing replacement the noise during parking lot manuevers was somewhat cured and the slight steering wheel vibration at 80 is gone. So I am making progress to my goal of a healthy suspension. Rear diff bushings next. I also have to verify that my engine mounts are ok. Lots of clunks during clutch disengagement and engagement.

Just dealt with similar issue after putting PSS coilovers on my 323ci. Metallic clacking on very small bumps at low speeds worth the worst. Could really hear over the expansion joints in my concrete drive way. I troubleshot it by bouncing each side of the front suspension with it on the ground. It made the noise on the driver's side when I bounced the passenger side which kind of clued me in that it was sway bar related. Ended up being the bottom sway bar end link bolt was just slightly loose. I got no more than a single turn on it. I hadn't even touched that bolt during the coilover install. Tried the bouncing again, no longer there. Then took it for a spirited drive and came back to same expansion joints and no more problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast