Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Metallic clacking sound when going over bumps at 30mph+

Hey guys, I've had my 2005 imola zhp for about 3 weeks now and have noticed that over bumps I get a metallic clacking sound from the front suspension. The noise happens when hitting small sharp bumps, if that makes sense. It sounds like its coming from the driver side but that may be because I'm obviously on the driver side. I have changed the fcab and sway bar links because I had found them worn out. Needle to say they didn't fix the noise. The sway bar itself feels tight in its mounts, the ca have been changed by PO and the ball joints on them look to be in good shape. They also felt tight when I inspected them when doing the fcab. I'm starting to wonder if this is a normal E46 noise. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Not normal. I would have guessed CAB, I'm sure others here will have more ideas.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Not normal but I can't think of a likely cause beyond what you've done. Could be failing strut mount rubber or the bearing inside the strut mount. Could be failed driver's side motor mount, but then you should also get a thunk when you let the clutch out in 1st or 2nd gear, as the engine rises up and settles back onto the failed mount. Perhaps loose reinforcement plate (or one of the 8 bolts) but I assume you removed and replaced that plate when replacing your FCABs.

I do have a thud when releasing the clutch in 1st and 2nd, actually all gears. The thud will lessen in harshness as I shift up. I have confrimed that my rear diff mount(the rear most one) is cracked significantly so I assumed it was just the diff clunking. The front struts and mounts and bearings were just replaced by PO and he installed the e46 strut tower reinforcement plate as well as an m3 strut bar. It does sound alot like he may of left something loose. Any usual suspects that people usually leave loose or that back out? Thanks alot for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Not normal but I can't think of a likely cause beyond what you've done. Could be failing strut mount rubber or the bearing inside the strut mount. Could be failed driver's side motor mount, but then you should also get a thunk when you let the clutch out in 1st or 2nd gear, as the engine rises up and settles back onto the failed mount. Perhaps loose reinforcement plate (or one of the 8 bolts) but I assume you removed and replaced that plate when replacing your FCABs.

How about FSM's? Blown shock?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

When letting out clutch in low gears, cluck from the rear usually diff bushing. Clunk from the front is FCAB (but you replaced yours, and it's better known for clunking under brakine) or motor mount. You can visually inspect the driver's side motor mount from below using a mirror or from above by removing the airbox and looking down with a flashlight. If it's really gone, you'll see oil on top. Could also reach up and feel the top of the mount with a paper towel if the car is on jackstands or a lift.

Maybe if both motor mounts are broken, the heat shielding on top of the right-side mount could rattle, but normally just the driver's side mount breaks.

Front shocks are new. Front sway bar mounts looked ok and were tight-ish. The sway bar links are new and the sway bar it self is completely encapsulated with rubber. I don't think it would be able to make clacking metallic noise.

Quote Originally Posted by will731 View Post
    Front shocks are new. Front sway bar mounts looked ok and were tight-ish. The sway bar links are new and the sway bar it self is completely encapsulated with rubber. I don't think it would be able to make clacking metallic noise.
    Sway bar? What about front shock mounts? When were those last replaced?

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Oh FSM lol okay. They were replaced maybe 6 months before I bought the car.

I need to get it on my lift again and see if I can duplicate the noise in the air.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast