Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Just being devils advocate on the Vanos seals... My 04 has 58k miles on it and has had BMW 5w30 every 5 to 6k (or once per year if didn't reach mileage) religiously.
    Changed out the seals for $65 shipped from Beisan while doing the VCG, (no rattles, so no rattle kit) and I have noticed a great improvement in low end torque.
    I do a mix of about 50/50 city/highway and I'd swear that I've even seen a 1.5 mpg increase. My route/gas/tire pressure/etc... none of it has changed.

For $65, and since you're already going to have it apart... seems like some low hanging fruit IMHO.

BMW CCA # 510252

Quote Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
    Just being devils advocate on the Vanos seals... My 04 has 58k miles on it and has had BMW 5w30 every 5 to 6k (or once per year if didn't reach mileage) religiously.
    Changed out the seals for $65 shipped from Beisan while doing the VCG, (no rattles, so no rattle kit) and I have noticed a great improvement in low end torque.
    I do a mix of about 50/50 city/highway and I'd swear that I've even seen a 1.5 mpg increase. My route/gas/tire pressure/etc... none of it has changed.

For $65, and since you're already going to have it apart... seems like some low hanging fruit IMHO.
    After having the valve cover off last night, I sorta wished I had just gone a head done them. However, my time frame didn't permit the extra time at the moment. It will have to wait until winter time.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

I finished everything up this morning around 7AM (after a good nights sleep and evening activities...). Let the car down, and she is now resting in the driveway. Told my boss I'm working from home today. I have a few things to finish up around the yard today before a big family party on Sunday. All in, at a snails pace (was about 80 in the garage) I finished everything up in about 3.5 hours.

The transmission fluid was black and nasty. I swear that was the original "lifetime" fluid in there. Car as 101k miles- so most likely. I took a sample, and will send to blackstone for fun.

The rear diff by comparison, looked great. The gear oil didn't smell at all, looked clean, and had a nice feel to it between the fingers (science right?). Obviously, still changed it. Cleaned up all the junk around the output flange seals. the drain plug I found to be a tad loose- perhaps the source of my leak? Who knows... Time will tell.

The valve cover was a breeze. Two of the caps (back passenger side corner) we not tightened down. I'm thinking someone changed the gasket before, and forgot to tighten them? Or over time they came loose. The gasket was in okay shape, not starting to get brittle. The spark seals were toast. Closer to plastic than rubber.

What are these grooves on the shaft? (sorry, potato picture)

They were front and back.

Valve area looked clean. No sludge

Spark plugs that came out, were the originals stamped BMW. I thought PO told me he had them changed. Can't remember...

I honestly, can not wait to jump in drive! Figure it best to let the RTV set for a bit though. All bets are off come lunch time!
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

That valve train looks to be in good shape. Based off that picture it looks like your ccv system was replaced with the cold weather system. Sort of difficult to tell but looks like that hose from the valve cover has the sleeve on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    That valve train looks to be in good shape. Based off that picture it looks like your ccv system was replaced with the cold weather system. Sort of difficult to tell but looks like that hose from the valve cover has the sleeve on it.
    Good eye from a crappy shot. Yes it does. Which is interesting, because the car has the "hot climate" package, and no heated seats ( ).

IIRC the original CCV system is not the cold climate version. When people replace the system, they have the option of going with the normal or the cold climate version. So on your car the previous owner kept up with oil changes that were every couple thousand of miles and had the cold climate version of the ccv installed to prevent sludge/mayo build-up.

Is your Alcantara? Heated seats are always a plus but with alcantara it is not that bad in the winter.

Black leather, and I live just outside of Boston. We get real winter...

EDIT: Just drove the car to get lunch and back. The transmission feels great! That notchy feel is gone. I believe the transmission was a little low on fluid as well (since more went in, than came out).

Engine is SO much strong with the new plugs. I am one happy camper.
    Last edited by TheFinanceGuy; 06-18-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Got the blackstone report back, which what I believe to be the original BMW MTF (looks like my crappy hand writing was read as MTL....).

Pretty neat to see. Good piece of mind as well. Considering what came out was very black, and looked terrible.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast