Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fitment / rubbing question

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I have a fitment question for e46 330i sedan with sport suspension on h & r race springs. It's not a zhp but I can't find answers. Currently I'm running the stock 17" mtech wheels with 225/50/17 blizzaks on all 4 corners with no rubbing issue what so ever. I have a square set of 18" x 8 et32 that I would like to mount I purchased the wheels with 225/45/18 - 245/40/18 tires and they rubbed. My question is what size tires can I run without rubbing or having to roll fenders. I'm thinking of going with pilot sport3- 235/40/18? Will these work? What do you guys recommend?

How bad are you rubbing? Slightly? I assume the et32 isn't helping you. 235's may work depending how bad the rub is.

Welcome

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

At a stand still the car sits higher than with the 17"s- I'm honestly not sure where or how bad they are rubbing. As soon as I pulled out of the tire shop I heard the tears rubbing and had them put the 17"s back on.

I have pics with the 18"a on but not sure how to post them

I've been playing with the wheel dimensions on a plus size tire calculator online. Can I use the 17" wheel/ tire dimensions vs the 18" wheels tire dimensions to determine if they will rub? Will 225/40/18 rub without issue? I really would like a wider tire than a 225 though. Suggestions?

Are they rubbing front, rear or both? Rubbing on fender lip or inner fender liner above the lip? Those tire sizes are about 11mm larger in diameter front and about 9mm larger in diameter rear than stock tire sizes, plus your offset is more aggressive than stock. You could get lower aspect ratio tires like 225/40/18 or 245/35/18 or 255/35/18.

Are you lowered at all or at stock height?

Edit, I see you're on H&R race springs. They are reputed to be pretty low. Going to stock ZHP tire sizes (225/40/18 or 255/35/18) might not help given that you are lowered and using more aggressive offsets. You may need some combination of taller springs, higher offset wheels, roller fender lips (if it's rubbing there), and proper diameter tires (about 25" diameter) to stop the rubbing. Doing one of those four might solve your problem. Doing 2/4 (raise, roll, higher offset wheels, or smaller diameter tires) will almost certainly eliminate the rubbing. You can probably go wider than 225 if you get lower aspect ratio tires or make one of the other changes.

With a driver and front passenger the 225/45/18 fronts rubbed only while turning. With the 245/40/18 rears I rubbed on the inner fender lip and the clip where the bumper attaches to the fender. I mean people are running much crazier / more aggressive setups than this- I don't understand why I'm having so much issue.

Post the pictures my "go advanced" at the lower right and then use the upload/attachment icon. Or use tapatalk app on your phone.

Welcome.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Where are the fronts rubbing, on the outside (fender lip) or on the inside? When I ran 255/40/17 on the front (17x8.5" wheel with ET40 offet), it rubbed on the inside at full lock, not the outside. Answer should have been 12mm spacer, though I got a 5mm spacer and that reduced (but did not eliminate) rubbing. Once I switched to 245/40/17 the rubbing on the inside went away (with 5mm spacer).

And my 255/40/17 on ET40 in rear rubbed on the outside on the liner, above the fender lip, but only in hard turns when the car was lowered about 1.5" below stock height . I raised it to about 1" below stock height and rubbing went away. Later I got stiffer rear springs so I could go lower and not rub in hard turns.

For both front and rear, if you're rubbing only on the outside, I forgot to mention increasing negative camber might fix it. This is fairly easy in the rear if you haven't done it already. In front you can knock out strut hat alignment pin to get an extra half degree, but for more than that you'll need camber plates.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  2.21 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  2.20 MB

I thought I had more pics but I guess I deleted them- these are with the 225/45/18 - 245/40/18 Yokohamas mounted. I gotta be honest I'm not 100% sure where they rubbed up front - the rears rubbed on the clip that attached the bumper to the 1/4 panel and on the outside wheel well lip - inner edge. I guess rolling the rear fenders would help? I'm hearing mixed answers as to wether 235/40/18 all around will rub or not - I was also told by tirerack that 225/40/18 would be a garaunteed fit all around and not rub however I really would like to run something wider than 225

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast