Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coolant System Maintenance Summer 2014

So the time has come for me to refresh my coolant system as I'm about to take my car 12 hours away to school in NC. Currently there is 105k miles on the car. Ideally I would go with a kit from ECS or getbmwparts, but I'm not sure how deep I should go. At 105k would it be a good idea to go ahead an replace the radiator, or should I skip it for now and allocate the funds to updating my suspension which I plan to do this summer as well.

I'd skip the radiator. Other will disagree. Honestly, replace the ET, WP, hoses, and T-stat and that should be fine. My opinion, of course.
    In the market for an E90 M3

I just ordered my parts the other night and decided against my radiator too. I don't hear of them failing often and if it does it's a slow failure.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

NorCal, what mileage are you replacing at?

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    I'd skip the radiator. Other will disagree. Honestly, replace the ET, WP, hoses, and T-stat and that should be fine. My opinion, of course.
    +1 I'd be ready to replace idlers and tensioners. If they spin freely, they are bad (they shouldn't turn more than part of a revolution when you try to spin with your finger). I'm doing mine while I'm in there.

Hard to tell about the radiator. People say to replace them over 100k or the second time a cooling system is done.

I like this kit

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Co...oolrefrkit.htm

I was gonna do either that one or the ECS Stage II kit, but I need to do pulleys and belts while I'm in there. Also I have this real nice honk/foghorn sound a couple seconds after I shut the car off and I'm assuming its the CVV. Should I hit that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    I just ordered my parts the other night and decided against my radiator too. I don't hear of them failing often and if it does it's a slow failure.
    Agree. I did my entire cooling system at 110K except the radiator, no problems yet at 128K.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliben View Post
    I was gonna do either that one or the ECS Stage II kit, but I need to do pulleys and belts while I'm in there. Also I have this real nice honk/foghorn sound a couple seconds after I shut the car off and I'm assuming its the CVV. Should I hit that as well?
    Sounds like the CCV needs replaced. Do the OFHG while you are in there, the gasket is only $7.
    I would do the belts, exp tank, water pump, thermostat, pulleys, sensors, hoses.

Is your car a AT or MT?
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

I did the radiator at 120,000 with everything else. My budget allowed for it so I didn't seen any harm in doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

Autozone.com
    My t-stat failed at 66k so I went ahead and did the cooling refresh from getbmwparts minus rad. Had a bad idler and tensioner pulley as well. I'll probably do it again around 120k and take care of the rad too.

2006 Mystic Blue on Grey leather 330ci ZHP 6MT "Ingrid" - Build date 06/2005
    Black cube trim, Coby alcantara handbrake/shift boot/console cover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast