Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: M Stripe Colors

M Stripe Colors

I have—like many of you, I assume—often wondered about the history of BMW M, including their iconic three-stripe M logo. My past Googling had never turned up any significant results outside of this post on BMW Blog from 2009:

History: BMW ///M logo colors explained

Their explanation is logical enough, and even includes the exact colors for the stripes in Pantone, Glasurit paint, RGB, and hex values.

What bugged me a little, though, was that the middle stripe on most newer Ms that I had seen (in photos only, sadly) looked far more dark blue than purple.

Old:

New:

I figured it was simply due to lighting or other photographic anomalies. But I had read a few passing references around the Internet (including here) to “new” vs “old” M colors. So I decided to ask the source: BMW USA Customer Relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Clark
    BMW USA,

I am looking for information regarding BMW M’s stripe colors. An often-cited blog post from 2009 (http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/04/13/hi...ained/)​ provides a history and the exact hues of the red, purple, and blue stripes. However, to my eyes it appears that the middle stripe on more recent M vehicles is much closer to a dark blue than the cited purple. Did BMW M change their “official” colors sometime in the past few years?

Respectfully,

Travis Clark
    ZHP Driver, BMW Enthusiast
    I got an immediate auto-reply that my message was received, and then a reply four days later from a customer relations rep informing me that she was researching my question.

Today, I got BMW’s official answer:

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Customer Relations
    Dear Mr. Clark:

Thank you for your patience while I researched your inquiry.

The BMW M logo is comprised of a silver letter M preceded by three characteristic diagonal stripes. The light blue stripe symbolizes BMW AG, the red stripe symbolizes BMW Motorsport, and the dark blue stripe in the middle – originally violet – represents the connection between BMW and Motorsport. Tracing back to the 1972 roots of BMW M, the logo’s letter ”M“ stands for “motorsports.” The distinctive M logo first appeared on the legendary BMW M1 in 1978 and was created by Giorgio Giugiaro, the designer of that sensational sports car. BMW M always stands for the thrill of high-performance automotive technology and outstanding quality.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Melissa Knueven
    Customer Relations and Services
    Representative

4.8 SECONDS TO THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN.
    The first-ever BMW 2 Series knows no boundaries.

www.bmwusa.com
    Not quite as detailed an answer as I had hoped, but it does confirm that the middle M stripe is currently dark blue, no longer violet. Also absent in their reply (though, to be fair, I didn’t explicitly ask about it) is whether the Motorsport-representing red came from M’s early affiliation with Texaco or Castrol (we had a little discussion about that here).

UPDATE

I also decided to reach out to the author of that BMW Blog post to get his background on it; my query and his response below:

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Clark
    ​Mr. Boeriu,

Your 2009 article “History: BMW ///M logo colors explained” (http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/04/13/hi...ors-explained/) was quite intriguing but, as many of the article’s commenters noted, it raised some questions about the information’s source. Many people are under the impression that the Motorsport red was from BMW’s racing partnership with Castrol, rather than Texaco.

Could you share the source of the information in that article?

Very respectfully,

Travis Clark
    ZHP Driver, BMW Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatiu Boeriu
    Thanks Travis. This is a controversial topic and we still didn't get an official answer. But what you're saying makes sense also.
    Last edited by Crickett; 12-11-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added response from BMW Blog

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Interesting. I like the Violet more, though.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Good info. Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    Interesting. I like the Violet more, though.
    That's why my rewrap has violet

Either way I think it's cool they actually emailed a response within a few days.

Good to know, thanks

sent from a galaxy
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Thanks for that Travis. Appreciate your continued research.

Sent from my pineapple under the sea.

-Brettski

Learning something new every day

Thanks Travis!
    Call me Giya (sounds just like Karmann Ghia) | '05 ZHP Coupé AT - Sparkling Graphite Metallic | Project thread

Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German

Awesome info man. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone 13

Good deal on the thread... I too looked into this a while back as I was curious. My ZHP had purple in a lot of the logos, but our X3 had all dark blue in the M stripes. I prefer the newer look with the dark blue. To me, the purple is just too 80s...

But anyway, very cool thread, nice of you to pass on the info.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Updated OP with more info.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC