Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't Start

Won't Start

Does not turn over.
    Light come on.
    Autozone checks batter okay
    Still, tried new battery and no start
    Autozone checks alternator okay
    Checked fuses related to ignition in glove box, they're okay

Possible fuel pump? (Looked at Dane's fuel pump DIY. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...Y-doityourself)

How do I confirm that's it?

Had an autocross schedule for tomorrow, but that off now.

Listen or have someone listen to fuel pump when you turn key to on before starting engine. It should make a soft whine as it pressurizes the line. you can easily remove the lower rear seat cushion by lifting up in the front of the cushion to hear the fuel pump better. If it's not making any noise when you turn the key, it's not pumping. You could also check the schraeder valve on the fuel rail with a rag to see if you have fuel pressure, but I think you have to remove the plastic fuel rail cover to do that, and removing that cover might require removing the cabin air filter housing.

But uh, if it doesn't turn over, your fuel pump is not the problem, or at least not your only problem.

If battery is okay and tried new battery with no luck, then it's one of 4 things: bad starter, EWS (anti-theft), loose engine grounds, or crankshaft position sensor. Maybe have someone tap the starter with a long extension or breaker bar while you try to start it?

My money is on the starter motor. Mine went out a month or two ago with the same symptoms.
    -Dimitri; 19

98 Dakar Yellow M3
    Recaro - Ground Control - Macht Schnell - AP - Mashaw - UUC - Schroth - Apex - TMS

I push-started and drove home an hour from the golf course so it's not the fuel pump.

If it's the starter, I saw a few videos and posts that made changing it seem impossible and something I should take to the dealer for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal-Dimiti,
    How did you fixe your starter? Dealer or shop? Any clue or guess how much that will cost me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought mine to a bmw only shop. The part was $284 and labor was $309. The serviceman said that it's a very difficult fix, especially if the car has an automatic transmission.
    -Dimitri; 19

98 Dakar Yellow M3
    Recaro - Ground Control - Macht Schnell - AP - Mashaw - UUC - Schroth - Apex - TMS

Reading through this doesn't make is sound impossible, however, looks pretty straight forward if you are handy with a wrench.

Best of luck

What about EWS? Got a 2nd key to try?
    2004 Sedan | Imola | Black Leather | Black Cube

Sure enough, was the starter. Bosch starter $270 (with lifetime warraty) and labor $280, total $550.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast