Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Because tires should be quiet and not noisy when worn down to the wear bars. Got it

I understand the flat spotting though.
    Actually the rear were on the wear indicators and the front still had thread on them. Also the sidewall on them is soft but treadware is good on them

Quote Originally Posted by jsfbmw View Post
    OP, what do you need the tire to do? The many replies give you a wide range of responses. What's your budget? Have you decided that you will go with separate summer and winter setups or not?

For "best performing tire for non-cold environment" I agree with others and wholeheartedly recommend the PSS. Simply an outstanding tire, wet or dry. I've had mine for two years (no winters) and I am continually stunned at how well they stick, how quiet they are, and it looks like I'll get good mileage out of them.

They cost a bit more than other tires, but in my opinion, they are the best. Good luck with your decision.
    I don't have a budget, really... just not in the habit of spending where perceived or tangible value is not added.

I live in Indianapolis... we got 57 inches of snow this past winter, but the road crews around here usually have things clear within a few hours. PLUS my wife has a Honda Pilot with awd, so no trouble getting around. I have a set of winter tires that would fit if I were to get a a set of 16 inch wheels to fit the ZHP. But... I could sell those with the wheels they are on and pay for whatever tires I want. BUT... then would likely be all-seasons as then my winters are gone.

Right now I have been driving my GS thru winter time, but am going to sell it soon. Might get a truck and could drive it in winter. I'm kinda all over the place, but honestly have been leaning towards just getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s and seeing how it goes.
    Completely open to anyone's perspective!

BMW CCA # 510252

Quote Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
    I don't have a budget, really... just not in the habit of spending where perceived or tangible value is not added.

I live in Indianapolis... we got 57 inches of snow this past winter, but the road crews around here usually have things clear within a few hours. PLUS my wife has a Honda Pilot with awd, so no trouble getting around. I have a set of winter tires that would fit if I were to get a a set of 16 inch wheels to fit the ZHP. But... I could sell those with the wheels they are on and pay for whatever tires I want. BUT... then would likely be all-seasons as then my winters are gone.

Right now I have been driving my GS thru winter time, but am going to sell it soon. Might get a truck and could drive it in winter. I'm kinda all over the place, but honestly have been leaning towards just getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s and seeing how it goes.
    Completely open to anyone's perspective!
    Interested in hearing opinions on the DWS vs. PS A/S 3. Also, who uses their 135s as winter wheels staggered and how are they?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Reviews have been pretty good on the A/S3 Michelin but they are fairly new to the market. Not sure if there are any reviews of them during the winter yet.

But a square set-up would make more sense for a winter set-up. 18x8 all around.

Just noticed the V12 Evos are on closeout. There must be a replacement coming out soon...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....10XL&tab=Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    Just noticed the V12 Evos are on closeout. There must be a replacement coming out soon...

My car has mismatched tires (I hate that!), with those Hankooks in front with about 15k miles on them, and General UHPs in the rear on OEM STYLE 135s. I have a set on Style 71s incoming with Dunlop SP Sport 9000s mounted. I had a set of those on my 540, and really didn't much care for them. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Dunlops, buying two new Hankook V12s for the rears, and moving the used front Hankooks over to the 71s. I figure they'll wear pretty evenly over the next 20k +/- miles.

What's the consensus on winter wheel size, 16" or 17"? Not enough sidewall with 18s for my taste.
    04 Vert/Sapphire Black/Black/Silver Cube/MT/CWP/Xenons/HK-NAV/BMW Performance Air Intake and CF Strut Bar

Quote Originally Posted by jwalther View Post

What's the consensus on winter wheel size, 16" or 17"? Not enough sidewall with 18s for my taste.
    16's won't clear the calipers.

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Michelin PSS. Probably the best street tire currently on the market.
    Yup. Have tried the competition too (S-04, DW, Z1, etc.) and I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    My E34 had Conti DW on it and I loved them. Super comfy, quiet, and refined but held that heavy car on the road well. I would get them again but I keep hearing how great PSS are and want to try them. I dont think you can go wrong with the DW though.
    The PSS is a sharper handling tire than the DW with higher cornering limits. You'll feel the difference if you like to push your car a bit; both are very good tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post

There is a replacement (evo2) that I think TireRack has.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Reviews have been pretty good on the A/S3 Michelin but they are fairly new to the market. Not sure if there are any reviews of them during the winter yet.

But a square set-up would make more sense for a winter set-up. 18x8 all around.
    Not very good in the snow- I bought them last year and returned them during the winter. I got stuck in 3" of snow in my driveway. I was hoping All Seasons had come far enough that I could run one tire all year, but that's not yet the case.

The DWS is far better in the snow, and the Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S is slightly better in the snow as well.

Yes, I'm a bit of a tire whore.
    - Derek

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    16's won't clear the calipers.

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    I didn't think so but I've seen a couple of folks talk about buying 16s for their car...
    04 Vert/Sapphire Black/Black/Silver Cube/MT/CWP/Xenons/HK-NAV/BMW Performance Air Intake and CF Strut Bar

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
    I didn't think so but I've seen a couple of folks talk about buying 16s for their car...
    Only certain 16's fit. Best to go on the safe side and get 17's.
    You don't really get any benefit from going with 16's versus 17's.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast