Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    LOL isn't that always the case. If only you can mount the mic in the engine bay or trunk/exhaust to hear it better.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

I can put it on the dyno and tell you if there is anything that happens at 4k next week.

Er, next week I can put it on the dyno and tell you if anything happens at 4k haha.

I'll monitor ignition timing and wideband to see if any funny business happens.

Ian

I can guarantee your dyno readings will show it. But do you actually feel it in real life driving?

You can see my RWHP figures climb and there's just a tiny burp at 3500. The graph blocks the torque which spikes at about 245ft-lbs but starts a dive to 20ft-lbs less which is only an 10% drop for a split second so in real time driving on my car I don't feel anything. It's weird how torque falls as RPMs rise but I guess torque is best felt at the low end where it's important since torque is how hard you can twist. Horsepower rises as RPM's rise which is good in the high end since HP means how fast your can twist.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

As was mentioned before, it felt like a momentary lift in the throttle and then it was back on. So yes, it can be felt in everyday driving.

Wow that's really strange. Horsepower is just a calculation of torque, so holding torque at high RPM is what makes horsepower...

The fact that the torque is dropping off at high RPM is just a function of the VE of the motor. If you made that same 245 ft/lbs but at 6000rpm you'd be making 279 horsepower! And if you made that 245 ft/lbs at 8000rpm you'd make 373 horsepower.

Ian

It makes sense from a practical standpoint. It's easy to push against something moving slowly, and past a certain sweet spot it becomes increasingly harder to push against something moving quickly. Imagine riding a bike. You can apply a lot of force to the pedals when they're turning slowly... but if you're going as fast as you can in that gear, the pedals are almost falling away from your foot as quickly as you can try to push against them, which results in you only being able to impart a fraction of the force upon them. Most of your available energy at that point is spent just keeping your legs moving that fast.

Zebra Horse Power - PSA: The Hypermiling Thread
    Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

That's pretty much exactly it, Kevin. An engine with a great head/cam package will breath well enough to fill the cylinders even at a high piston speed; just like if at a high pedal speed, you had more power available to push. Not more total torque, but torque at high rpm = horsepower = speed.

Ian

I have a 2006 330Ci ZHP with manual transmission and I have the flat spot/hesitation at just past 4000 RPM. It is very noticeable going from 2nd to 3rd. I read in this months Bimmer (E46 Buyers Guide) about it and have been researching it more. In the article it says the ECU needs to go to New Jersey for programming. The car is still covered under the CPO warranty. I went to Roseville (CA) BMW and spoke to the shop foreman. He found the service bulletin on it and confirmed it is a known issue. He also indicated that the ECU would have to go to New Jersey to be reprogrammed But he and the service tech told me that my CPO warranty did not cover it. I find this ludicrous. Niello BMW in Sacramento told me it is not covered by the CPO either. I read all of my CPO paperwork and I don't see how they can deny me. If anyone has more info or suggestions it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeKeef View Post
    I have a 2006 330Ci ZHP with manual transmission and I have the flat spot/hesitation at just past 4000 RPM. It is very noticeable going from 2nd to 3rd. I read in this months Bimmer (E46 Buyers Guide) about it and have been researching it more. In the article it says the ECU needs to go to New Jersey for programming. The car is still covered under the CPO warranty. I went to Roseville (CA) BMW and spoke to the shop foreman. He found the service bulletin on it and confirmed it is a known issue. He also indicated that the ECU would have to go to New Jersey to be reprogrammed But he and the service tech told me that my CPO warranty did not cover it. I find this ludicrous. Niello BMW in Sacramento told me it is not covered by the CPO either. I read all of my CPO paperwork and I don't see how they can deny me. If anyone has more info or suggestions it would be appreciated.
    What part in the contract do you think covers it? I agree with you as well.....

We have a huge thread somewhere that discusses "this" hesitation...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ask for a "goodwill repair". Your car is an 06 so it can't be that far out of the manufacturers warranty.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast