Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

E46 ZHP vs. E36 M3

So I imagine many of us own or have at least driven an E36 M3 along with our ZHPs.

How do you think the two compare?

I had a convertible M3 for four years before adding a ZHP to my stable. I can compare them like this:

Comparing it to my M3 isn't really fair due to all of the upgrades I've done, but I'll do it anyways.
    M3:
    • PSS9 Shocks/Springs
    • Hotchkis Anti Roll bars
    • Urethane FCAB
    • RTAB Shim kit
    • UUC SSK
    • TMS underdrive pulleys
    • UUC Corsa exhaust
    • SS brake lines
    • CDV delete
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • TR Motorsport C2 17x8.5 wheels

ZHP:
    • CDV delete

The M3 can best be described as more visceral. The clutch is heavy, the engagement point is early, and the SSK makes shifts feel like a bolt action rifle. Throttle feels direct and the response is immediate and the exhaust note is very loud, to the point of being drone-y. The firm suspension (and low CG) makes it handle superbly. It does very well in autocross against the coupes and sedans. The interior rattles and buzzes and really shows its age. The lux seats don't support you very well in turns.

The ZHP is much more quiet and more subdued. On the highway you can easily hold a conversation with your passengers, even more so when you shift into the 6th gear that the E36 just doesn't have. Acceleration seems to come on like a wave rather than a punch. The exhaust note has that characteristic straight-6 sound but it's not nearly as present as the M3. The clutch is far lighter and the stock shifter feels great but not as notchy and direct as the M3's UUC SSK. The alcantara seats provide plenty of support.

Your turn. How do you think they compare?
    Last edited by mikasaur; 07-17-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: clarification
    Michael Martin
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

I've had a chance to drive Cody's E36 M3 and I daily drive my ZHP. I think you nailed the comparison. Cody's M3 isn't stock so my opinion is going to be a little skewed.

As for the M3, it was about as raw a car as I have ever driven. I felt ever inch of the road that I drove over, and it could take turns a bit harder than the ZHP. The torque in the car was instant and fucking motivating. Not matter what gear you were in, when you put your foot to the floor, the car would react as if it was built to throw your head to the seat. The clutch was a little heavier but not by much. The entire time I was in the vehicle I felt like it was begging me to drive it at the limit.

The ZHP is a lot more refined. A much much smoother ride and exactly what you would look for in a daily drive that can still scare you when you beat it like a redheaded stepchild. The gearing is smoother, the interior is higher quality and more comfortable. The drive by wire gives a little lag to the throttle and the suspension isn't quite as stiff. I feel rewarded for rev matching and rowing through the gears aggressively, but when I drive the ZHP really hard I feel bad.

If the ZHP is a suit and tie, then the E36 M3 is a tuxedo T-shirt.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    /thread. That's beautiful.

The M3 is square, the ZHP has curves.

Squares aren't sexy.

(Never driven an E36, they're like dinosaurs!)
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Although, in all seriousness, you can make this same comparison between my ZHP (in place of the E36) and our F30 (in place of the ZHP)... Kind of interesting.
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    The M3 is square, the ZHP has curves.

Squares aren't sexy.
    My E36 would beg to differ!

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack
    The drive by wire gives a little lag
    This is possibly what I like least about the ZHP. Especially compared to the E36 M3 which has a heavier pedal feel and reacts instantaneously to any input. Anyone know if the E46 M3 has the same feel as the ZHP?

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack
    Haha, yes!
    Michael Martin
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Wow, that's like the johnrando of E36s! And your car is absolutely gorgeous... For me personally though, the E36 lines just don't do it, but just messing around.

Beautiful car man!

Never driven one.....yet. But I decided to purchase another E46 (this current one) over the E36 M3 two years ago because despite the good things I heard about it, it just looks dated to me - I can't just like driving the car, I have to like how it looks too.
    The rear LED taillights on facelift E46 coupes, the bigger wheels, the introduction of D2S bixenons, Harman Kardon sound system, etc....it got me. I'd make the same decision again if I had to today.

Although I will admit the itch to drive an E36 M3 is one that hasn't gone away even after a couple years.

I wouldn't mind a Euro-Spec E36 M3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by gmurphy View Post
    I wouldn't mind a Euro-Spec E36 M3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This.....or at least the euro motor.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast